Unbeaten Ivy League run continues for Tigers

It was a big weekend for the Princeton women’s volleyball team (8-5 overall, 3-0 Ivy League) as they battled to ultimately comfortable wins against Cornell (3-10, 0-3) and Columbia (6-6, 2-1), continuing their unbeaten start to Ivy League play. The Tigers took down the Big Red in a three-game shutout, followed up by a slightly narrower 3-1 victory over the Lions. The latter victory included a scintillating fourth set in which neither team held more than a three point lead. Princeton ultimately won that game 27-25 on back-to-back kills by junior right side Kendall Peterkin.

Cornell has not been the strongest team in recent years, but sports a young roster with plenty of upside. In fact, 10 of their 11 players are freshmen or sophomores. However, potential did not equate to success on Friday night for the Big Red. Princeton was visibly the more composed side throughout the game and was able to limit unforced errors for optimal offensive execution.

Junior libero Sarah Daschbach, a talisman for the Tigers, also felt her team was in a great rhythm throughout the weekend.

"We were communicating on the court, which translated to good chemistry and the ability to run more complicated offensive plays," Daschbach said.

The lone senior on Cornell’s roster, libero Natasha Rowland, was limited to just 11 digs, her lowest mark on the season. Rowland is notably the ex-girlfriend of Samuel Reynolds Scott, who is roommates with Princeton senior captain and right side hitter Francie Jenkins. In order to capitalize on this piece of knowledge, the Princeton faithful displayed large posters featuring Scott throughout the game. Perhaps Rowland’s level of play was subsequently affected.

Incidentally, Princeton's underclassmen made major contributions this weekend, particularly against Columbia. A duo of sophomores and a freshman were key contributors. Sophomores Cara Mattaliano, an All-Ivy outside-hitter selection last season, and Lauren Miller, a setter, have been mainstays for the Tigers since they arrived on campus and show no signs of slowing down. Mattaliano posted a coolly efficient 15 kills and 10 digs, with Miller racked up a Stockton-esque 50 assists.

Freshman outside hitter Kelly Matthews made her Ivy League debut against Cornell but truly impressed against Columbia, with 14 digs and three aces in that contest. The 5’10” freshman injected some much appreciated energy off the bench. Daschbach, who had 23 digs against Columbia, was thrilled to see the younger players on the team get off to such a strong start.

"It was so cool to see Kelly Matthews hitting past huge blocks. She really stepped up and had a awesome debut," Daschbach said.

The Tigers continue their home stretch this coming weekend versus a Brown team (6-9, 1-2) that is coming off an upset 3-0 win over Harvard. That contest will be on Friday night in Dillon Gymnasium, followed up by a massive match on Saturday at 5 p.m. against reigning champion Yale (6-6, 2-1). Yale has traditionally been the top dog in Ivy League women’s volleyball, but this year they have looked vulnerable, already dropping one match 3-2 to the same Harvard team that Brown shutout.