Men's soccer falls to Dartmouth in OT

It was just two years ago that senior forward Cameron Porter, then a sophomore, scored the game-winning goal just two minutes into overtime to sink Dartmouth in the men’s soccer team’s Ivy opener. But the Big Green (5-2-1 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) got its revenge on Saturday afternoon in the team’s first trip back to Princeton since 2012. A header from midfielder Matt Danilack in the 93rd minute beat junior goalkeeper Ben Hummel to the back of the net, and as quickly as extra time had begun, the Tigers (3-3-2, 0-1) had fallen in their first match of Ivy play.

Play went in favor of Dartmouth during the first 45 minutes of action, even as the Tigers saw the first couple of set piece opportunities with early corner kicks from junior forward Nico Hurtado. But the Big Green, undefeated over its last month of play, found the net in the 13th minute on a goal by midfielder Colin Heffron. Dartmouth’s offense, with its dangerous speed, was able to get behind the Tigers’ defense and got the ball to Heffron, who received the ball on the right side of the field and sent it the far corner of the net from 22 yards out. It was Heffron’s second goal of the season.

Two other near-scoring opportunities came for Dartmouth in the first half, with a chip from forward Alex Adelabu and a header from forward/midfielder Eric Jayne both nearly finding the back of the net. The shot total was in Dartmouth’s favor by a five to three margin at the half.

Dartmouth continued to attack in the second half, as the Big Green squad forced Hummel to make two quick saves during the 46th minute. But the Tigers started to find rhythm soon after and began to pressure Dartmouth goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland. Porter would even the match for the Tigers in the 65th minute after being awarded a penalty kick when he was pulled down in the box. It was the senior’s fifth goal of the season.

Dartmouth regained its momentum as the second half drew to an end, but could not beat Hummel as the clock reached the 90-minute mark. But a free kick just over two minutes into the first overtime period found the head of Danilack, who beat Hummel to give Dartmouth the victory. With every game counting toward Princeton’s run at an Ivy League title, the weekend loss hit the Tigers hard.

“It was a really disappointing loss, we came out really flat in the first half,” Hurtado said. “We weren’t able to get forward quickly and turned the ball over too much. Now we have our backs against the wall in the Ivy League and basically have to win the rest of the games in the Ivy League.”

And keeping themselves alive in the Ivy League will start Saturday, when Princeton hosts Brown for a 4 p.m. matchup.

“It’s a must-win game,” Hurtado said. “Brown also lost its first Ivy League game, so both teams are gonna be desperate. We have to make sure that we out-compete them and get the three points.”

Before the weekend, though, the Tigers will take to Roberts Stadium on Tuesday evening, when they host in-state rival Rutgers. Kickoff whistle is set to blow at 7 p.m.