Lussi and Lazo lead Tiger offense against Brown

Women’s soccer head coach Julie Shackford will be looking to notch her 200th career win as Princeton’s head coach Saturday when Princeton hosts the Brown Bears in the second game of a men’s/women’s doubleheader. The game will be played at Myslik Field in Roberts Stadium at 7 p.m. The Tigers (3-3-3 overall, 1-0-1 Ivy League) are coming off an impressive 4-1 win against Lehigh on Wednesday night, and are currently in a three-way tie for first in the Ivy League standings with Harvard and Columbia.

Wednesday’s victory against Lehigh continued Princeton’s historical dominance over the Mountain Hawks. The Tigers boast a 19-0-1 all-time record against Lehigh in women’s soccer. Princeton’s four goals on Wednesday were the most the team has scored in a single game so far this season.

Brown is currently in fifth place in the Ivy standings with an overall record of 5-4-2 but a winless record in the Ivy games, tying both Dartmouth and Columbia. The Tigers are looking to avenge last year’s 2-0 loss to the Bears.

After a strong freshman season last year in which she scored 10 goals, sophomore forward Tyler Lussi is leading the team in goals scored this season with a total of six, registering all of her goals plus one assist in the past five games. Lussi has been on a hot streak the last two games, registering consecutive two-goal games against both Dartmouth and Lehigh, the fourth and fifth times, respectively, in her college career that she has scored twice in a game.

Not surprisingly, senior defender Lauren Lazo has also started off the season on a strong note, leading the team with a total of 14 points scored. Lazo also leads the team with four assists, while her five goals this season put her just one shy of Lussi’s team lead. Lazo, who has earned All-Ivy honors the past three years, has been a consistently strong player throughout her Princeton career. Her 70 career points place her sixth on Princeton’s all-time career women’s soccer scoring list. Impressively, both Lazo’s 14 points and Lussi’s six goals are tied for Ivy League bests at this point in the season.

Senior goalkeeper Darcy Hargadon, who was injured in a game against Yale two weeks ago, was back on the field and played in last week’s tie against Dartmouth and win against Lehigh, missing only one game. Hargadon has been in the goal for 633 of the team’s 870 minutes so far this season, starting eight of the nine games and tallying 22 saves. Sophomore goalkeeperHannah Winner, returning to the team after being injured last season, and freshman Gudrun Jonsdottir have also seen playing time in the goal this season. In her two games played, Winner has had a save percentage of .900 on 9 saves, and in Wednesday’s game against Lehigh, both Hargadon and Winner had three saves apiece.

Brown, while winless within the Ivy conference, is off to a 5-4-0 start in non-Ivy play. The Bears have scored an average of 1.36 goals per game this season, slightly behind the Tigers’ average of 1.56, but have been stronger in the goal, with a slightly better save percentage of .793 as compared to the Tigers’ .667. Brown goalkeeper Mallory Yant has played 884 minutes so far this season, and has a save percentage of .776, while goalkeeper Rylee Shumway has played 149 minutes with a save percentage of .889. Chloe Cross is the Bears’ leader in goals scored this season with five, and total points with 10. Following close behind Cross are Erin Katz, who has three goals and six points, Mikela Waldman, who has one goal and six points, and Sydney Calas, who has two goals and five points.