News & Notes: Ohio State to strengthen sexual assault, harassment policies

Ohio State University has agreed to strengthen its policies on sexual assault and sexual harassment, the Washington Post reported, ending the longest-running Title IX investigation conducted by the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The Title IX investigation involving Princeton University is now the longest currently active investigation.

The Department of Education released a list of 55 colleges and universities in May that it said were under federal investigation for sexual violence complaints. This number has since increased to 79. The single ongoing Title IX investigation against the University was filed in December 2010 by New England School of Law adjunct professor Wendy Murphy, who alleged that the University’s sexual harassment policies violated Title IX.

The investigation into Ohio State began in June 2010, and the Department of Education’s probe found that the school’s sexual violence and harassment policies and procedures did not comply with Title IX requirements. Ohio State also found that there was a sexually hostile environment in its marching band and fired the band director, Jonathan Waters, in July.

University faculty will be voting on Sept. 15 on a recommendation to judge sexual misconduct complaints through a “preponderance of the evidence” standard, which requires a lower evidentiary threshold than the current “clear and persuasive” standard. The new policies, if adopted, will take effect on Sept. 29.