New HC Morey provides new energy for sprint program

There appears to be good reason for excitement and optimism for the Princeton sprint football team. A long-standing varsity men’s sport at Princeton, the sprint football team is looking to win its first game since 1999 as it begins a new season this week. With a completely revamped coaching staff— including a former Super Bowl champion as head coach— and a deeper roster of players than it has fielded in the recent past, the team is energized and taking a fresh approach as it encounters a brand new season.

The team’s home opener is at Princeton Stadium on Fridayat 7 p.m against Post University. There are currently only eight sprint football teams in the country belonging to the Collegiate Sprint Football League. Ivy League schools with teams in addition to Princeton include Cornell and Penn. To compete, players must weigh 172 pounds or less.

The Tigers' new head coach, Sean Morey, is a former NFL Pro Bowler and was a member of the Super Bowl XL Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Morey, who graduated from Brown in 1999, was Ivy League Rookie of the Year in 1995 and Player of the Year in 1997. He was a three-time First-Team All-Ivy and All-New England selection, and twice was named an All-American wide receiver. During his college career, Morey broke five Ivy and 11 Brown records while catching 251 career passes. He also scored the first touchdown in the new Princeton Stadium. Drafted by the New England Patriots in the seventh round of the 1999 NFL Draft, Morey played for the Philadelphia Eagles and then the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2006, he was a special teams standout and captain on the Steelers' Super Bowl winning team. He played for the Arizona Cardinals the following season, making his first appearance in the Pro Bowl and his second in the Super Bowl.

“We want to win, and we’re focusing on it every practice and every snap,” senior co-captain and tight end Bob Dougherty said. “What’s most important with (Coach) Morey is that we’re focused on building the program. Morey is helping us get in the right mindset daily and is developing something that’s sustainable and will lead to further success.”

Senior co-captain and offensive linesman Kyle Douglas agrees, “Everyone’s really excited, and we’ve changed the culture here. We know we’re going to be really successful with a larger roster of over 30 players. Everyone is getting really excited about the work we’ve done at camp. We’ve been really sharp, and Morey has done a fantastic job. He has a slogan, ‘Get your mind right,’ and it really resonates with everyone.” Douglas added, “We’re dialed in and are ready to win games.”

Another notable addition to Princeton’s coaching staff this season is Todd Ferguson, who played and coached professionally in Europe and is the team’s new offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. The addition of a quarterback coach bodes well for junior starter Chad Cowden, who played six games last season, passing for 1,016 yards with an average of 169.3 per game, while completing eight touchdown passes. His longest completed pass of the season was 75 yards. This season, Cowden will likely improve upon these stats with the new specialized coaching he has been receiving.

“The sort of experience our new coaching staff brings will be great. And Chad has continued to improve. He looks fantastic and better than ever,” according to Dougherty.

Two of the three team co-captains, Dougherty and Douglas, will also play important roles on the team this coming season. With the installation of many new plays brought in by Morey and the rest of the coaching staff, the offensive line is looking stronger than ever and ready to compete. The third captain, senior wide receiver and safety Chris McCord, was the only member of the team to be named to the All-CSFL first team last year. Together, the trio aims to boost the team to a new level of play it has not seen in a long time.

Dougherty is optimistic, noting, “We have a lot of experience with field positions, and I see no reason why we can’t compete for the league championship.”

The Sprint Football Team’s defensive line is looking stronger going into the new season, with senior Abe Kielar back on the field after an injury in the first game last season. Kielar, also a former mid-distance runner on the track and field team, plays both as a defensive end and on the offense, with his speed making him a valuable player for this coming season. A deeper, stronger defensive line should improve the team’s pass rush, with the support of players like junior Henry Meng, sophomores Kahdeem Cohens and Haydn Melia and freshman Mark Nowicki.

“There’s definitely a huge defensive line improvement, and the offensive line looks good as well. Our receiving core is really good this year, and our offensive is going to be tough to defend against. We put the pieces together and have a really strong offensive line, with some really athletic guys who are going to be catching touchdowns,” Douglas said.