Garden Theatre boasts new renovations

The Princeton Garden Theatre got a makeover this past summer — the walls are bluer, the concession stand is bigger and the ceilings are cleaner. The latest renovation is the result of a change in management of the historic 380-seat theater.

The University has owned the land where the theater sits, the old garden of its neighbor the Bainbridge House, since 1877 according to the University’s Director of Community and Regional Affairs Kristin Appelget. In 1993, the University bought the theater and outsourced its operations.

Over the past two decades, Princeton Garden Theatre Inc. oversaw the movie theater’s logistics. The terms of their contract had expired, and the University sent out requests for proposals for their replacement. Appelget declined to give the number of management groups considered for the opportunity.

Renew Theaters, a Doylestown based non-profit which manages three other historic theaters, took over management of the Garden Theatre in June.

“We believe historic theaters deserve to be saved and can still function in a way that serves the community,” Renew Theaters marketing coordinator Allison Tyra said.

According to Appelget, Renew demonstrated a “longstanding commitment to organizations in towns that they’re in,” which she called “a model that would work well in Princeton.”

While the University footed the bill for exterior changes like fixing the roof drainage and and sidewalks, Renew took on the cost of the interior changes.

Appelget declined to comment on the total cost from the University’s renovations, which are in addition to an investment of nearly $500,000 in “university funds” last year for a new digital projection and audio system in the theater.

Tyra said the renovations are estimated to cost more than $150,000, but that they are ongoing.

Joseph Wells is an administrative assistant at Renew Theaters and a manager at the Garden Theatre. He is an employee of Renew, and worked in the Garden during many of the renovations.

“The old theater didn’t really — it had its own charm but it was kind of outdated and getting a little gross on the inside,” Wells said. “It needed to be fixed up. So, with a lot of help from the University, we really repaired the place.”

Wells explained that when Renew took over management of the theater in June, they gave all employees the opportunity to reapply for their positions. He said many of them declined, as many were high schoolers.

While the team at the theater may be new, the theater itself largely resembles its pre-renovation state. Most of the changes were cosmetic, including the addition of an extra wall around the men’s bathroom and a cleaning of the ceiling tiles. Some carpeting was replaced, and new floor lighting was added to the Garden’s two theaters. Wells said he hopes the next renovations in the theater will address replacing the seats.

Noticeably, the concession stand is larger and offers a larger range of products -- including chocolate bars and a variety of candies. Renew also took the opportunity to highlight the theater’s connection with the University by hanging photos of James Stewart ’32.

Appelget declined to disclose the terms of the lease with Renew Theaters, including the length of the agreement between the University and them. Aside from the largely cosmetic changes to the theater’s physical appearance, Renew will also be pursuing programming changes.

“It’s hard to compete with places like AMC and Regal,” Tyra explained. “So we show everything else — foreign, independent, global filmmakers’ work and classic films.”

Tyra added that Renew hopes to acquire a 35-millimeter projector in order to play older films in their original medium. The theater will continue to screen first run movies for the University and broader Princeton communities. However, Renew is also interested in working with students on campus interested in using the space for programming. This includes a continuation of the late-night movie program overseen by the Undergraduate Student Government. Renew will also pursue academic-based programming, like a professor’s picks movie series.

Appelget declined to provide financial information about operations at the Garden Theatre, including whether or not it is profitable for the University. Instead, she said the University has made investments in the theater — including new seatings and restrooms in 2000 — because it is an amenity that serves both students and the greater Princeton community.

“We have received a favorable response from people in the broader Princeton community who were here as the theater opened this summer,” Appelget explained. “We are looking forward to the exciting opportunity for student focused programming that students, faculty, and the community can take advantage of.”