Dartmouth takes two from Princeton softball in league home opener

Dartmouth swept the Princeton softball team in a doubleheader today, beating the Tigers 1-0 and 4-1 in the afternoon twin bill. The games against Dartmouth were rescheduled for a doubleheader today due to heavy rainfall over the weekend in Princeton. With the sweep, Dartmouth improved its record to a game over .500 at 14-13, while the Tigers fell to 5-17 for the season. Both teams seemed happy to be playing in the considerably warmer, sunny weather.

In the first game, neither team had a hit until the top of the third inning, when Dartmouth freshman Chloe Madill hit a single down the right field line. Princeton senior Maddie Cousens had the first hit for Princeton, with a single to the pitcher, going 2-3 in the game. The first and only run of the game occurred during the top of the seventh inning after Dartmouth sophomore Morgan McCalmon singled to left center, and pinch runner Alyssa Loyless scored on a double hit by Kelsey Miller. In a bizarre play, Loyless scored, but Miller was called out for passing Loyless on the bases. Loyless had hesitated at second base on the play, not knowing whether the ball to center field had been caught.

Princeton lost the second game 4-1 despite taking an early lead in the bottom of the third inning on a dramatic home run by Cousens to centerfield, her first home run of the season. But Dartmouth rallied back and scored two runs in the top of the fourth inning, the first run by Katie McEachern after a double and two singles, and the second by Miller on a throwing error at third base. Dartmouth relief pitcher Kristen Rumley entered the game in the fifth inning and earned a save, allowing Princeton only a few hits and no more runs for the rest of the game. Dartmouth extended its lead when Miller scored again during the top of the sixth, and Loyless scored again during the top of the seventh.

The Tigers will have a quick turnaround before playing Rider in Lawrenceville, N.J. on Tuesday. Yale will be the next Ivy on the schedule for Princeton, which will travel to New Haven, Conn. for a doubleheader on Saturday followed by two more games at Brown on Sunday.