Sports Shorts: Women's volleyball, women's soccer

Women’s volleyballAfter kicking off its season with six matches on the road, the women’s volleyball team (3-4 overall, 0-0 Ivy League) dropped its home opener Tuesday night to Seton Hall (3-5, 0-0 Big East) in three straight sets, 25-15, 25-16, 25-20. Sophomore right side Kendall Peterkin had a team-high 12 kills and three service aces for the Tigers. Peterkin, who also added seven digs, returns to Dillon Gymnasium after an impressive freshman season, when she was just one of two freshmen in the Ivy League to be named to first-team honors. Rookie outside hitter Cara Mattaliano closely followed Peterkin, recording 11 kills and 10 digs. Junior middle blocker Tiana Woolridge contributed seven kills and a team-best .357 hitting percentage, while defensively sophomore libero Sarah Daschbach contributed 19 digs. Princeton was unable to get its offense going, as the Tigers only hit .050 for the match. The Tigers will next travel to Rhode Island for the Bryant Tournament, where they will play three non-conference games before opening Ivy League play on Sept. 27 against Penn in Dillon Gym.

Women’s soccerThe women’s soccer team’s (3-1-1) game under the lights against St. Joseph’s (4-2-2) took an unexpected twist — after entering the second half scoreless, play ground to a halt 15 minutes later when a power outage knocked out the stadium lights at Sweeney Field in Philadelphia. It took 45 minutes to turn the lights back on, but the delay seemed to be exactly what Princeton needed to get its offense going. Though junior midfielder Lauren Lazo’s penalty kick, called on a handball inside the Hawks’ own box, was saved by St. Joseph’s goalkeeper Lauren Jancuska, it was Princeton that found the back of the net first. Freshman Tyler Lussi, coming off of a week in which she was named both Ivy League Player and Ivy League Rookie of the Week, knocked in a shot off the crossbar in the 83rd minute to give Princeton the only goal of the game and another notch in the win column. Offensively, Princeton outshot St. Joseph’s 20-11, but the Hawks saw an impressive game from Jancuska. The game put the Tigers’ endurance to the test, as it was Princeton’s third match in five days. Princeton’s next contest is not until Sunday, when it will face off against William & Mary at home in Roberts Stadium at 1 p.m.