Sports Shorts: Women's Soccer, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Men's Soccer

Women’s Soccer: Tigers start season off strong with two victories

The women’s soccer team has had a strong start to its season, winning its first two games at home against Richmond and Army. The Tigers' first game of the season was against the Spiders. After a scoreless first half, Princeton started the second half strong, scoring the only two goals of the game within the first 10 minutes of the half, with freshman forward Tyler Lussi and junior forward Lauren Lazo netting the two scores. The Tigers did even better in their next game, with Lazo scoring a goal and Lussi adding on two more to beat Army 3-0. Lussi’s performance in the two games earned her co-player and rookie of the week honors. She is the first freshman to earn the Player of the Week award in almost two years.

Field Hockey: No. 3 Princeton defeats No. 10 Duke in home opener

The field hockey team, ranked third in the nation, started its title defense off impressively, beating No. 10 Duke at home 3-1 to give the Blue Devils their first loss of the season. Three different Tigers scored in the contest and senior goalkeeper Christina Maida played well, allowing only one goal and recording seven saves in the contest. Princeton had a little more trouble in its second match, coming back from being down 1-0 to win the game 4-3 despite having outshot the Stags 22-6.

Volleyball: Women begin season 3-1 on the road

The women’s volleyball team won its first two matches of the season but failed to extend the streak to three in its first tournament of the season. The Tigers played in the George Mason Tournament, defeating the Patriots in the first match 3-1 after losing the first set. The Tigers then went on to beat Coppin State 3-0 before losing by that same score to Radford. The team was without its freshmen for the match against Radford, as they had to go back to campus for orientation. The freshmen contributed over half of the kills in the match against Coppin State and their presence was missed in the final match of the tournament, as the Tigers only managed 28 kills.

Men’s Soccer: Tigers held scoreless in season opener

The men’s soccer team had a rough start to its season, losing its first game of the season to Farleigh Dickinson University, a team that made it to the Round of 16 in last year’s NCAA tournament. The Knights scored the first goal of the match in the 27th minute and then extended their lead in the 40th minute to make the score 2-0 at the half. The Knights scored a late goal in the 86th to put any hope the Tigers had of a comeback out of reach. The one bright spot for the Tigers is that they were able to force corner kicks, as they led the Knights 7-3 in that area.