Mills '81 rejoins Knicks as president and GM

The New York Knicks announced yesterday that Steve Mills '81 will replace Glen Grunwald as the team’s president and general manager.

Mills majored in sociology and won two Ivy League Championships under the legendary Princeton head coach Pete Carril before logging one season of professional basketball in Ecuador. From there, he spent 16 years working his way up the NBA’s executive ranks and was eventually named Madison Square Garden’s president and COO in 2003, a job in which he was heavily involved in the day-to-day affairs . Mills left the position in 2009 to join Magic Johnson Enterprises, where he worked until being called back to the Knicks Thursday.Mills is a member of the Princeton Varsity Club's Board of Trustees.

Current Knicks owner James L. Dolan voiced his excitement about Mills’ return to MSG.

“I am pleased to be able to welcome Steve back to the Knicks,” he said in a statement released by the team Thursday. “He is a well-respected sports executive with a strong background in basketball, as well as a familiarity with NBA operations and our company. We look forward to his leadership and believe he is the right person to help us reach our ultimate goal of winning an NBA championship.”

During Grunwald’s two-year tenure, the Knicks attained their two highest winning percentages since 2001 and ended a postseason victory drought of 13 seasons. Mills will pick up where he left off, hoping to send the team past the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000.

Mills could not be reached for comment.