Campus Picks: Sept. 29, 2011

Theater: Quipfire! Presents The UCB Touring Company

Want to laugh? Want to see one of the world’s best improv groups without having to trek out to the city? Make sure to go to this free performance and get prepared to be amazed with the performers’ skills and wits. Come with a suggestion of a non-geographical place!

McCarter Theatre

Friday, 11 p.m.

Event: Nassau Literary Review Open Mic Launch Party

Why read original prose and poetry when you can hear it yourself straight from the authors’ mouths? Come to Open Mic Night at Murray-Dodge to hear and see work from the Nassau Literary Review’s latest issue. If you prefer to enjoy your art firsthand, and if you enjoy free cookies and tea (who doesn’t?), Murray-Dodge will be the place to go on Friday evening.

Murray-Dodge Cafe

Friday, 10:30 p.m.

Dance: Sympoh Urban Arts Crew Presents ‘Princeton Breaks Bboy Jam’

Come be amazed by spectacular leaps, twists and flips by Princeton’s best breakdancing crew. This special performance will feature a legendary face-off between Sympoh and its sister crew from Rutgers, RU Breaks. Expect the awesome two versus two dance battles to blow your mind. Think you got what it takes to bust some moves? This time, Sympoh will even be allowing participation from the audience.

Frist Film/Performance Theatre

Friday, 8 p.m.

Concert: Bruce Molsky

The second part of the music department’s “Making Tunes!” concert series brings fiddler Bruce Molsky to the Taplin stage. Molsky, described as “the Rembrandt of the Appalachian fiddle” is one of the best remaining old-time fiddlers in the world. If you are up for a raw and honest experience, this folk performance will blow you away.

Taplin Auditorium

Thursday, 8 p.m.

Film: Thunderbolt

It’s the age-old story: boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl get married ... but in this version, the girl then becomes stricken with “magun,” a mysterious chastity spell that punishes the unfaithful with a variety of nasty deaths. Racial politics and marital infidelity meet the occult in this 2001 film straight from Nollywood, Nigeria’s burgeoning film scene. The second of nine movies in the African Film Series, Thunderbolt will be followed by a 10-minute discussion with comparative literature professor Wendy Belcher.

East Pyne 010

Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.

Campus Picks compiled by Sam Kaseta, Neelay Patil, Emily Tseng, Sophia Deng and Alexis Kleinman.