Editorial: Yaroshefsky for USG president

The primary factor that separates Yaroshefsky from the other candidates is his proven record of accomplishment. As IT committee chair of the USG, he has taken an extremely active role and expanded his duties beyond the purview of his own projects. Over his relatively short time in student government, he has already instituted reforms to the election system, expanded online services for students and faculty alike and collaborated with several USG working groups. Though Lindeman charged that the USG was not accessible to the average student, Yaroshefsky has already improved the transparency of the USG through a variety of initiatives, and he has plans to continue this progress. His motivation to solve problems in the USG beyond the purview of his office speaks volumes to his desire to serve and his ability to enact change within the USG.

In his campaign, Yaroshefsky brings realistic policy proposals designed to improve student life. This well thought out platform addresses issues ranging from reforming late meal during lunchtime to helping students academically with more detailed midterm grades and feedback in a wider range of classes. He focuses on a wide array of specific, accomplishable goals rather than general, more nebulous issues. Additionally, Yaroshefsky also expressed a desire to continue the strong working relationship that he and the USG have cultivated with the administration. For him, this will require a transition to working with Nassau Hall on bigger, weightier issues like grade deflation and the eating club task force — a transition we hope he can make.

Yaroshefsky, however, did not express to us a clear vision for how he will manage and structure the USG’s activities. Altman has presented the more insightful plan on this front: He would use working committees for larger projects while enabling USG members to lead pet projects, striking a balance among actionable tasks, accountability and long-term goals. Yaroshefsky must think critically about how he will manage both his and the USG’s time. His successes so far have been due to his ability to take personal initiative and get projects done by doing them himself. But as USG president, Yaroshefsky must take a broader perspective, focusing more on leadership through management and delegation. He cannot allow himself to become bogged down in the minutiae of the USG’s work.

If elected, Yaroshefsky will likely face growing pains in his transition to USG president. We are concerned about his ability to delegate as a leader and provide a long-term vision to unify many of his goals. But if he concentrates on these shortcomings and is able to overcome them, he could potentially serve a second term. This would give him more time to cultivate his policies and learn from his mistake — a luxury that few USG presidents have had. Though he is only a sophomore, we are convinced after speaking to Yaroshefsky that he brings the energy, thoughtfulness and drive necessary to lead the USG.