The Top 20 Greatest Princeton Athletes

Nov. 14, 2006 marked the debut of The Daily Princetonian's series counting down The Top 20 Greatest Athletes in Princeton history. Over the following 20 issues, we count down the top athletes ever to don the Orange and Black — one per day — until Dec. 13, when we arrive at the greatest athlete in the history of Tiger athletics.

Princeton possesses a storied athletic tradition rivaling that of any university in the world. Contributions from past Tigers have revolutionized the American sporting landscape. On Nov. 8, 1869, 25 students traveled to New Brunswick to face Rutgers in the first intercollegiate football game. On the hardwood, the Princeton offense, created and spread by legendary coach Pete Carrill, is a mainstay of basketball strategy from high school to the NBA.

But providing the backbone of all these team and program successes are the athletes themselves. There must be point guards to run the Princeton offense, goalies to defend the nets and running backs to score game-winning touchdowns. Tiger athletes have defined Princeton's athletic program, and we will honor the greatest of those athletes in our countdown.

Click here to see The Daily Princetonian's rundown of the Top 20 Greatest Princeton Athletes.