Letters to the Editor

Open stacks an asset to Firestone

Regarding 'The Firestone lounge?' (Monday, Sept. 24, 2007):

It was with great trepidation that I read Joshua Katz's piece. As a former anthropology major, now gone on to graduate school in colder pastures, I am still one of the biggest fans of Firestone's open stacks. I remember browsing through the stacks and being able to pick up a handful of books every visit simply because they piqued my interest as I tried to locate the particular tome I had come to fetch for research purposes. I ended up fascinated by women's studies books when I was looking for information about the history of science. Books which would now be classified as American studies (a subdiscipline program that barely existed at Princeton when I was an undergraduate) caught my eye back in those days. My exposure to those works has provided me with endless intellectual fodder since those formative years. Those books and I would never have crossed paths and changed my life's course except for the open stacks of Firestone. Our world will suffer greatly if books are hidden from the casual perusing eye of the curious student. Evangeline Su '99

New Tiger Foods policy

Regarding 'Tiger Foods Open to Fraud,' (Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2007):

I would like to clarify that, henceforth, all Tiger Foods delivery personnel will require all students purchasing food to present their University I.D. card on delivery in order to confirm the validity of the transaction. This is in addition to our current policy of students signing a receipt of delivery. We believe that most students have behaved honorably in the past when making Tiger Food purchases, and we are unaware of any abuses such as those constructed by The Daily Princetonian staff. If any member of the University has questions about his or her account, however, we urge them to contact the Agency at tfoods@princeton.edu. Sean Weaver Director of Student Agencies and Special Projects Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students

Could arguments extend to pumpkins?

Regarding 'Slaves and Slaughterhouses' (Monday, Oct. 8, 2007):

After reading Alex Barnard '09's plea that we treat humans and non-humans equally, I cannot help but wonder if Barnard is just as prejudiced as the meat-eaters he decries. Barnard writes about "tearing down the barriers" of "speciesism," yet he seems unconcerned by the equally abhorrent practices of genusism, phylumism and kingdomism that run rampant in our society.

Luckily, it is not too late to act. In just a few weeks, millions of innocent pumpkins will be kidnapped from their peaceful patches and mutilated by sugar-addled, knife-wielding children. Similarly, as fall turns to winter, countless humans will cruelly douse their bodies with antibiotics, massacring the helpless bacteria that have taken up residence in their lungs. Surely, given Barnard's willingness to swear off meat for the greater good, he'll be willing to forgo Halloween and suffer unmedicated through a nasty case of pneumonia in the name of justice and equality. David Baumgarten '06 Former 'Prince' Editor

A note on U. sports' history

Regarding 'Injuries to force Tigers to forfeit' (Wednesday, October 3, 2007):

I want to discuss the comment that players would have to play both offense and defense. Hey, that is how they played in the old days even up to 1950. The two platoon system only started then. Ronald Wittreeich '50