Letters to the Editor

Religion and respect

I do not know how many parents read your periodical, but I always do. I find it gives me more to discuss with my son and helps me know what is going on at the university and what thoughts are running through the minds of at least some of the students. I believe every parent should subscribe. However, I have never before felt compelled to respond to an editorial until now.

First, I would like to commend the paper in general for allowing all points of view to be expressed. But I am most sincerely impressed that the paper offered Mr. Ryan Anderson '04 an opportunity to express his opinion, for one rarely sees this type of Catholic defense published in any paper. I also must applaud Mr. Anderson for having the courage to write an article defending an article of our faith not well-understood nor appreciated by Catholics, let alone non-Catholics. It took some courage to write the editorial in this day and age. So I applaud both writer and editorial board for the opinion piece.

Although this article of our faith, regarding the body and blood of Christ, is difficult to comprehend by many, it is a core tenet of our faith. I myself find it difficult to comprehend the notion of some Hindu gods and the belief in reincarnation. None of these religious beliefs are subject to scientific scrutiny; they never were intended to be. I can honestly say that I find atheism a perplexing "belief." Yet, there are many of each creed who sincerely hold fast to their beliefs and practices and hold them sacred.

Although the ability to look at oneself with a sense of humor and candor are important attributes, I agree that tolerance and respect must be granted to all faiths and that some jokes are more offensive than funny.

Thanks for this opportunity to share my thoughts. Kira Geraci-Ciardullo M. D., P

A liberal arts education is the best preparation for a practical career

I am writing to follow up and express some disappointment in the way a quotation attributed to me was used in a story on Nov. 12th in The Daily Princetonian, "Should a liberal arts education prepare you for a practical career?"

I want to make it absolutely clear that I do not believe "coming from a liberal arts education is a hurdle." I believe that liberal arts students (not just Princetonians) sometimes face challenges/hurdles in the first full-time job search if they, like any other engineering, business or journalism student, have not engaged in other complementary activities (volunteer work, study abroad, extracurricular activities, internships) to offer employers further evidence of their skills. There is no deficiency to be "overcome" but rather there are additional activities, engagements and pursuits that can make you an even stronger candidate for certain jobs.

Ask any employer what they are seeking in a candidate, and the following are uniformly listed as key qualities: communications skills, leadership, teamwork, problem-solving ability, analytical and critical thinking skills and motivation. These are cornerstones of a liberal arts education and absolutely why a Princeton education is a tremendously valuable preparation for one's future career. Echoing the sentiments of others interviewed, the education and experience provided at Princeton is not meant to be vocational, it is meant to prepare the total person as a thinker and a leader. What better preparation is there for a career? Becky Ross Associate Director of Career Services