In Support of OA

It seems like only yesterday, freshman year to the Class of '03, when the Outdoor Action program was celebrating its 25th anniversary, surging in popularity and seemingly flush with funding. But this semester serious funding difficulties have been revealed and the program has been forced to cancel most of its trips during the academic year. The lack of school year trips will make it more difficult to find qualified students to train the leaders of future freshman orientation trips.

Administrators have said it is unlikely the organization will receive additional funding due to budgetary constraints and the program has also been prevented from conducting its own fundraising efforts.

That authority lapsed with the conclusion of the University's 250th anniversary campaign and has not been renewed. Before the lapse, the program had only raised $250,000 in endowment funds of a $2 million goal.

OA's latest proposal to raise endowment funds is now under review and will receive consideration again in the spring, according to Brian McDonald '83, vice president of development.

Aside from the goals of outdoor education and exercise, students form lasting bonds during the freshman year trips.

But the experience that sets the tone for incoming freshman relies on the experience and capabilities of the trip's leaders. They become academic advisers, friends, entertainment directors and most importantly safety experts and guardians. If next year's leaders feel they are unprepared for the safety and medical aspects of trips, they will be less likely to excel in their other roles.

No other program offers such a lasting and formative experience for more than half of a any class. While the difficulties of balancing a budget are clear, there are ways to secure OA funding or allow OA to raise funds.