Acclimating to Princeton

The Princeton-Oxford program exchanges the best and the brightest America and England have to offer. But the program seems, at least here at the University, to have moved too fast too soon.

There are significant educational differences between the tutorial system at Oxford and the University's class structure.

While these differences, along with the process of social acclimation, are bound to create problems for these exchange students, we should not necessarily force our classes into the schedules of exchange students.

The program is a good way to provide both Universities' students with an exciting opportunity to expand their horizons. Associate Dean of the College Nancy Kanach has said that both schools are committed to the program and will make changes as necessary in the years to come.

We should consider taking steps to ensure what education we provide here is comparable with the education they would receive in England.

Once these exchange students leave Princeton, the work they produce here will be held to Oxford's standards.

Despite the concerns of students involved, it is important not to lose sight of why this program was conceived: to provide students with the experience unique to attending a new school.

If we remain open to adjustments, however, we will ensure that the educations and academic standing of these pioneers are not compromised.