Letters to the Editor

New opportunity for alcohol education

In response to the article on Alcoholedu, I would like to express my wholehearted support for this new program. Through my USG work, I've had the opportunity to work with many students, administrators, and local government officials to discuss ways that we, as a community, can combat our campus's number one public health issue — drinking.

While the Trustees Alcohol Initiative provides alternative social programming for students, this is the first major push to educate the student body about the deleterious effects of alcohol. The goal is for all first-semester freshmen and sophomores to take this course so that they can find out about blood alcohol content, the effects that alcohol has on studying and memory, and to learn how to handle a friend who has had too much to drink. Last year, Janet Dickerson, the Vice President for Campus Life, commissioned student-administrative task forces to deal with the question of "What are we doing about alcohol abuse on this campus, and what can we do to encourage students to make informed decisions about alcohol?"

As the co-chair of the Alcohol Education and Communication Committee, I was very involved in the discussions about this Alcoholedu program. At first I was skeptical, because I assumed that it would be patronizing and would not be a realistic look at drinking on college campuses. But after completing the 2.5 hour course, I can tell you that it's not only educational, but also entertaining. Students' responses are confidential, and the data they provide about themselves is used to tailor the course to their individual drinking habits. This course is completely voluntary, and students are awarded a free movie ticket if they complete the program. As I said in separate e-mails to the freshmen and sophomores, "I hope that you decide to take this course — informative, entertaining, and a free trip to the Garden Theater." Nina Langsam '03 USG President