Sexism cuts both ways

A truly gender-neutral society would demand such an equal-opportunity reaction from the overzealous "activists" who tore down the Maxim-style "Man Show" posters used by several a cappella groups to advertise a show. However, such an action is hardly likely. Photos of attractive young women wearing little clothing inevitably evoke concerns about eating disorders and sexual objectification, whereas there is no such baggage attached to pictures of men. Yet women are not the only ones who suffer from eating disorders and body image problems.

Like the recent amusing exchange of pink and blue genital monologue posters, the "Man Show" poster quasi-controversy is indicative of a greater trend of deplorable gender-based double standards in America.

Several weeks ago, an email entitled, "take a shower for cryin' out loud," resembling the one below was sent to the new sophomore members from the officers of a certain eating club:

"...with all of us at the Club! Tomorrow night, in lieu of dinner, the outgoing officers have decided to host a shower party for all eligible females in the co-ed third floor bathroom. Bring your loofah, your rubber ducky, and a smile! Towels optional."

Though I personally found it rather harmless, such juvenile bravado usually leads to ever more discussion of the negative aspects of the 'Street.' While the mildly offensive nature of the message was perhaps inadvertant, I expected outrage and weeks of Prince editorials decrying anew the "hostile sexual environment" of the 'Street.'

However, there was nothing. I heard no statements from any of the campus organizations that deal with sexual health and gender issues. The clubs themselves, while supposedly gender-integrated and sensitive to such issues, were silent. The best explanation for this silence is also the simplest: Female club officers sent the message. They intended it for "eligible males," not "eligible females". This example, while perhaps less blatantly threatening than others, shows that in our society, a "hostile environment" exists only when women are threatened — not when men are. If the message had been sent by male club officers rather than females, it would have been taken much more seriously.

The fact that it is acceptable for women to make such statements when the same statement from a man would be considered grounds for censure, if not disciplinary action or even a lawsuit, is only one of the many frustrating double standards that men and women face.

For example, even a superficial comparison of men's and women's magazines reveals an ongoing discussion of women's efforts to balance work and family, whereas the dilemma does not seem to exist for men. Before we can say we have a truly gender-neutral society, men must step up and share housework and childcare equally in households with two parents working full-time. When women routinely work outside the home, it is unfair for them to have to shoulder 100 percent of the domestic burden.

A side-effect of increased paternal participation in the raising of children and the upkeep of households will be the end to commercials in which fathers are depicted as helpless in the absence of their children's mother. While sometimes amusing, such ads send the wrong message to young boys — telling them that caring for children is not their responsibility and that they would be no good at it anyway. Fathers, like mothers, deserve credit for their devotion to their children, not ridicule on national TV.

Furthermore, though some men may deserve their hateful messages, man-hating greeting cards — like any other sexist cultural phenomenon — have no place in a society supposedly devoted to equal treatment under the law. Were they directed against women, blacks, hispanics or other non-white male groups, such cards would receive the apocalyptic outpouring of media and legal wrath they rightly deserve. As they gleefully inform their friends that "men are pigs, but friends are forever," those who buy and sell these cards would do well to think about the sexist values their actions are promoting.

The key to ending these and innumerable other double standards is for men and women to work together against them, no matter whom they disadvantage. Even as women demand that men take a more active role in the home, they must speak out against an establishment which tends to disregard or trivialize sexual harassment and violence against men. Even as men demand an end to man-hating greeting cards, they must help end the culture's obsession with dieting and thinness. Only then will trivial incidents like the "Man Show" posters cease to become topics for Daily Princetonian editorials. Eric Harkleroad is a physics major from Overland Park, Kas. He can be reached at eharkler@princeton.edu.