Letters to the Editor

Forum misrepresented problems at the 'Street'

Tuesday's 'Prince' article about the USG's forum on the University's sexual climate notes that the forum was begun by "reading two accounts of date rape and sexual aggression."

My first response to hearing this was sympathy for the victims of these two incidents. My next response was that such accounts were an inappropriate, even poisonous way to begin a fair-minded panel on sexual issues. Sexual predators and distributors of date-rape drugs are cultural misfits anathema to any reasonable society. To imply that the eating clubs are permissive of such behavior is irresponsible and only leads to unnecessary divisiveness on both sides, which disrupts serious dialogue.

Equally unfortunate was the writer's choice to begin her own article by citing a USG survey that found that "eating clubs foster an unhealthy climate for the University's women." This conclusion may be true, but the survey, which was not conducted by an independent polling agency, was clearly marred by its self-selecting response group and should not be taken as a serious indication of anything.

The environment of the eating clubs has many problems, including women's issues, which need to be addressed. It is certainly good to see the University's sexual climate come under scrutiny. But so long as that scrutiny depends on unprofessional polling statistics and centers on a small group whose agenda is guided by preconceived notions about the 'Street' in general and Bicker clubs in particular, well-meaning people will continue to be alienated from the cause, and we will continue to step in the wrong direction. Chris Beha '02