Letters to the Editor

Israeli action a far cry from terrorism

In Alexandra Snyder '03's Dec. 6 column, Israel is accused of perpetuating a "cycle of violence" that has resulted in many deaths on both the Israeli and Palestinian sides. To support her point, Snyder ridicules Israeli "raids on so-called terrorist haven towns," as well as other security measures that the Israeli government has implemented to secure its boundaries. Indeed, she goes so far as to term Israeli actions in response to the intifada, including reprisals for suicide bombing attacks on civilian population centers over the past year, as "Israeli-state terrorism." To define Israel's actions, intended to ensure the security of its citizens, as a form of terrorism is to distort the very definition of terrorism, as well as to cheapen the memories of those noncombatant innocents who have fallen victim to suicide bombing attacks. The Israeli government, unlike the Palestinian Authority and its constituent terrorist organizations, does not condone or incite cowardly attacks that intentionally target unarmed teenagers out for a good time on a Saturday night. Terrorism must be regarded as a unique form of violence for which there can be no moral justification. State responses to terrorism, such as those being pursued presently by the United States in Afghanistan and Israel in the West Bank and Gaza, are legitimate responses to those individuals and organizations that will stop at nothing to sabotage efforts for peace and stability.

In contemplating the implications of Snyder's piece, I must also wonder whether she could ever see herself supporting Israeli military measures of any kind, offensive or defensive, to ensure the safety of Israeli citizens. She seems to ridicule the very idea that Israel, a sovereign state and member of the United Nations, has a right to respond to any threats to its security. But what if achieving security for Israeli citizens requires that known leaders of terrorist organizations operating from Palestinian-controlled territory be targeted for assassination? And what if launching lightning raids on known hotbeds of terrorist activity is the only way to ensure that potential suicide bombers will never have a chance to reach their intended targets? Those of us who support Israel's right to exist in peace and security recognize that Israel, just like any other state, must inexorably respond to acts of terrorism and mass murder with overwhelming force. One cannot compromise with terrorism or terrorists. There is absolutely nothing that Israel can do, short of destroying the organizations that perpetrate acts of terror, to bring security to its citizens. Only after the Palestinian leadership recognizes its mutual obligation to fight the true forces of terrorism can a reasonable settlement of the Arab-Israeli conflict begin to take shape. Sam Spector '03