Letters to the Editor

Predicting the OWL's last screech

Given the recent internal strife, one must ask: Is the death of the Organization of Women Leaders imminent? Like the endangered Western Screech, this collection of left-wingers may go the way of the Dodo physically after years of following the Dodo mentally. Where are the nature conservation fanatics when the left wing really needs them?

Liberals on campus need not despair just yet. After dispersal, there exists a very real potential for the many acronym byproducts. Let's go ahead and do some postulating.

OWL's executive bunch, or the leaders' leaders, will miraculously reform themselves by continuing to identify sexist approaches as, in a word, "sexist." Their new group will be, simply, the Organization of Leaders. After 548 more steps in this right direction, they will find themselves in a collection of individuals who latch onto common sense with dedication (i.e. the conservatives). A natural union occurs between the female-heavy OL and the male-heavy Tory, forming OL-Tory, something colloquially referred to as the good ol' Tory.

OWL's dissenting dames, after screeching, "O, OWL!" in response to the recent endorsement, will decide to adopt this bitter wail as their battle cry, forming the Organization of Only Women Leaders. Although David Gail '03 actively seeks membership, OOWL insists on only females in power, and thus Gail's hopes are blown away. The group continues to fight sexism and racism by opposing the presence of Condoleezza Rice in office.

OWL's remaining members, unable to effectively establish leadership, disband entirely into various other groups. Some join the Progressive Review and its crusade against Plenty Prudent Notions; some join the Princeton Peace Network and its crusade against common sense; others join CommonSense and its crusade against religion; others join the religion department in its crusade against faith. All find their niche — hopefully a better one than the Western Screech. Peter Kingston '02