Letters to the Editor

Only the presumptuous think God takes their side

I have long been bothered by the apparent necessity of politicians in the United States to invoke God in their speeches, most often in their closings: "God bless America," or some other such phrases. I do know that such rhetoric wins votes, helps stir up a spirit of patriotism and expresses to constituents how deeply the office-holder feels about her country and convictions.

However, in light of the recent terrorist attacks, which bear the marks of religious fanaticism, I take particular exception to President Bush's inferences about the Judeo-Christian God, made in his address to the nation before Congress on Sept. 20.

Mr. Bush first establishes the United States as the champion of freedom, then states that God chooses, among other things, between freedom and fear. Next we are kindly reassured that we are acting correctly and that victory is around the corner; God Herself is granting us wisdom, I suppose, to continue choosing the right path. I think all this can be fairly summed up as: God Is On Our Side.

As a believing Christian, I do not question the ability of all people — including members of our government — to find solace in their faith and in prayer. But given the great diversity of belief and non-belief in our nation, I think it is crass, inconsiderate and insulting to all Americans to assume a.) that we are an omniscient nation with the power of the deity lending us strength, and b.) that we cannot find strength as a nation in our nation.

It is indeed more difficult to face danger and uncertainty without a righteous sword in one's hand. However, it is even more dangerous to trust blindly in one's infallibility when one is capable of blunders. I call upon our public officials to consider carefully the path our country will take in the next weeks and months — and the long-term consequences for both our country and the world. Moreover, I ask that religiously charged language such as Mr. Bush used be excluded from all public statements. As a nation that espouses values of freedom, equality and security, we have enough cause already to seek justice from those who planned this. Natalie Deffenbaugh '02