Aspiring writers can get their start early

Almost every facet of University life — from an occupation of President Shapiro's office to the Sovereign Bank robbery — receives coverage in the pages of The Daily Princetonian. Students, administrators and faculty read the paper to keep abreast of the latest campus news.

The 'Prince,' however, does not hold a monopoly on news coverage at Princeton. The variety of media on campus is remarkable for the University's relatively small student population.

Whether you are interested in working for a radio station, a literary magazine or a news publication, there is a job for you. Nearly every media organization holds an open house early in the fall term, and they provide a great opportunity to meet the members of each group and learn what their organizations are all about.

The following is a listing of the major media groups on campus. If these descriptions leave you yearning for information about any organization, you can get it by talking to its members.

The 'Prince'

The Daily Princetonian — the 'Prince' to friends and foes alike — is one of a small group of American college newspapers run by its own publishing company. It enjoys complete freedom from the faculty and administration.

With a staff of about 100 students in the news, photography, graphic arts, layout online and business departments, a readership of 8,000 and an annual budget of more than $400,000, the 'Prince' is anything but a small-scale operation.

Founded in 1876 as a biweekly publication, The Princetonian became The Daily Princetonian in 1892, making it the second-oldest college daily in America. It is generally acknowledged as the leading authority on campus news. (See story on p. VI-2)

The Tory

Yoran Hazony '86, who served as an official of the Likud Party in Israel, founded the Princeton Tory to provide a forum for conservative political thought on campus.

Published every other month, the Tory carries in-depth features analyzing on-campus, national and international events and issues.

The Progressive Review

On the other end of the spectrum is the Progressive Review, a publication that appears about once a month and seeks to present articles pointing to problems in University and national policy.

The Prog is open to pieces written from various viewpoints, though it has become the primary forum for liberal and radical thought on campus.

Nassau Weekly

Another campus publication, the Nassau Weekly, was founded in 1979 as the brainchild of former 'Prince' reporter Robert Fagen '82. It is a weekly feature paper distributed free to all students.

Regular Nassau features include "Forum" opinion pieces, an extensive calender of weekend arts events and "Verbatim," a compilation of humorous quotes culled from professors' lectures, classroom comments and hallway gossip — perhaps the most widely-read section of the publication.

The Tiger

Princeton's humor magazine, the Tiger, specializes in irreverent satires of the administration, student life, the national government and just about everything else.

In its most recent issue, the Tiger parodied Cosmopolitan Magazine — the latest in a line of issues satirizing other types of publications. Teenybopper magazines and Gentleman's Quarterly have also been victims of the Tiger during the past year.

Nassau Literary Review

Literary magazines have multiplied since the advent of the residential college system. As a result, the opportunities for Princeton's aspiring poets, short-story writers and photographers are numerous.

In addition to college literary magazines, the Nassau Literary Review solicits original poems, short stories, artwork and photography from students of all classes. The Nassau Lit is distributed free to all students twice per year.

WPRB

For those students who enjoy hearing their voices over the airwaves instead of seeing a byline in print, Princeton's own WPRB — 103.3 on the FM dial — has openings for disc jockeys, sports broadcasters, advertising salesmen and "techies."

With a strong signal of 17,000 watts, the award-winning WPRB has operated for more than 50 years, making it the oldest college FM stereo station in the country. Its format is far from old, however. The station broadcasts an experimental mix of classical, jazz, rock and roll, sports and public-affairs shows.

Business Today

Business Today, a nonprofit magazine published by the Foundation for Student Communication, boasts a national circulation of 200,000, the largest circulation of any student-run publication in the nation. The magazine, which appears three times per year, is distributed to juniors and seniors at many colleges nationwide.

The Spectator

The Spectator, one of the University's newer publications, comes out once every two weeks and generally focuses on campus issues and humor. The most widely read section of the Spectator, the "Bullyrag," is a collection of writers' often-opinionated takes on national and campus news events.

Most issues also include an interview with an interesting or prominent figure on campus.