Six undergraduates honored with awards

The sixth annual Spirit of Princeton Awards were presented to six undergraduate students at a reception and dinner in Palmer House Wednesday.

The six recipients were Aime Scott '01, Devon Keefe '01, Teddy Nemeroff '01, Robin Stennet '01, Brooke Freidman '01 and Amanda Brandes '02. The diverse group of students is involved in activities ranging from student government and theater to sexual health advising and athletics.

"The Spirit of Princeton awards are designed to recognize students whose enormous contributions to the Princeton community often go unnoticed," USG president Joe Kochan '02 explained in an e-mail. "That is, students who have, in their time here, given back in ways that only a few people may know about."

At the dinner, each of the winners was honored with a short biography, a certificate and inscribed books from English department chair Michael Wood and University trustee A. Scott Berg '71.

Award winners are selected by a committee of students and administrators. After receiving 35 nominations, the committee — which included Dan Weitz '01, Kochan, senior class president Justin Browne, Women's Center director Susan Overton, Third World Center director Heddye Ducree and Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students Thomas Dunne — narrowed down the pool, choosing six winners.

Of this year's six winners, three were instrumental in the development and success of Sustained Dialogue, a campus organization dedicated to improving race relations.

According to Dunne, Nemeroff "was the key student that kind of brought life to that program."

In addition to his service in race relations, Nemeroff has served three and a half years on the U-Council.

"I was surprised, but very, very happy about it," Nemeroff said, adding that the award is particularly gratifying because there are so many students who are active in a broad range of activities.

Nemeroff expressed his excitement that Sustained Dialogue peers Scott and Stennet were also honored.

Stennet, also nominated by a friend, has been a leader in Community House, planning its Black History Month program for the last four years.

Known around campus for her weekly activities e-mails, Scott has "done everything," according to Dunne.

Keefe, the catcher on the softball team, has served as president of the student athlete advisory board —which hears concerns involving everything from academic problems to scheduling concerns.

Like several other winners, Keefe did not know much about the award before she won it, but she said, "It was a great honor to receive."

Working with the offices of SECH and SHARE, Freidman has made many contributions to sexual health and gender relations on campus, including organizing the Take Back the Night march for the last two years.

Most of Brandes' contributions have been in the theater. Besides working at the ground level of the Performing Arts Council, helping the various campus performing groups to work together, she does the technical work behind many campus performances.

Most Popular