Wilson School fountain to close

Tradition dictates that on the day Wilson School seniors hand in their theses they take a time-honored dip in the Fountain of Freedom at Scudder Plaza, washing away the stress from the past year's toil.

The tradition will be put on hold next spring, because of renovations to Robertson Hall already under way.

Wilson School major Uma Seshamani '02 said, "I think it really stinks, especially because the seniors this year had such gorgeous weather that day and they were all so excited to be done."

"It's pretty disheartening, because our class missed out on both the Nude Olympics and jumping in the fountain even though we saw the class above partake in these traditions," she said in an e-mail.

But fellow Wilson School major Emma Terrell '02 said they would find a new way to celebrate completing their senior theses.

"We're prudential thinkers in the [Wilson School]. We'll jump in the fountain if that means we'll have to make our own," she said in an e-mail.

Wilson School classes will be held in the E-Quad until renovations are complete.

Wilson School Associate Dean Karen Jezierny said in an e-mail, "We hope to be able to use some classrooms in the E-Quad, which may be available as a result of the construction of new classrooms for engineering in the Friend Center."

"We also plan to use our own administrative conference rooms as appropriate and, as needed, other classrooms and lecture halls on campus," she added.

Because of the interdisciplinary nature of the Wilson School, most concentrators take classes that meet in several buildings on campus, Seshamani said.

"I think it will mostly be a pain for juniors to walk back at night from their Task Forces if they're in the E-Quad," she said.

Jezierny explained second phase renovations to Robertson will not affect the first through fourth floors of the building. Thus Dodds Auditorium, Schultz Dining Room and the program offices will not be affected.

The Robertson Hall renovation project is divided into three phases and will cost more than $5 million, physical planning director Jon Hlafter said.

The lower level will be renovated to make it more attractive to students, Hlafter explained. New carpeting, lighting and furniture will be installed.

In the first phase, which was completed this past January, the Wilson School library was moved to Wallace Hall and the former library space was turned into offices for the undergraduate program, the graduate program and graduate admissions.

In the second phase, which will begin in June, the lower level of Robertson will be renovated to add new classrooms. The two bowls on the west side of the building will be demolished and a single new, horseshoe-shaped bowl will be constructed in their place.

Renovation of existing classrooms on the lower level, which are directly under the steps leading down from Robertson into Scudder Plaza, are scheduled to be completed by January 2002. The new classrooms are expected to be completed by June 2002.

Jezierny said the new classrooms will be constructed directly beneath the building's steps facing Prospect Ave. All classrooms on the lower level will include data and power connections for laptop Internet access.

The steps above the classrooms will be temporarily removed during the construction, Hlafter said.

After the second phase is completed, students will be able to enter the lower level directly from Washington Road, he added.

Pending approval from the local planning board, the plaza will also be renovated, said Hlafter.

The fountain will be renovated to fix leaks and lighting problems. There are tentative plans to plant new trees on the east and west sides of the plaza to provide shade, Hlafter said. Renovations of the plaza are scheduled to be completed by summer 2002 — just a few months after this year's juniors hand in their senior theses and walk through FitzRandolph Gate.

The third phase, tentatively scheduled to begin in summer 2002, will include minor renovations on the fourth floor of Robertson, Jezierny said.

"As to jumping into the pool on thesis day, I could care less," Wilson School professor and departmental representative Stanley Katz said.

"It is a dumb tradition, though harmless," he said. "Maybe they could jump into Lake Carnegie, though I suppose the school would then have to provide lifeguards."