Letters to the Editor

Like men, women perpetuate gender and sexual stereotypes

Melissa Waage '01's April 24 column, "Fighting with seduction," was clearly well-intentioned but equally obviously ill-informed. To complain that women are somehow disadvantaged because popular culture holds that "sexuality is the key to female strength" ignores the indisputable fact that males are currently viewed in the same light as females. Yes, "men always have — and always will focus on [females'] breasts." However, can Waage honestly deny that nowadays women focus just as much on men's butts (or other similarly lust-producing anatomical features)?

I would respectfully suggest that too many females have joined too many of their male counterparts in focusing on the physical attributes of the opposite (or same) sex instead of their intellectual or spiritual qualities in assessing their sexual attractiveness. In doing so, I would further respectfully suggest that women have lost the sexual revolution begun in the 1960s. Worse, they failed to save men from the idiocy of their preexisting ways. In short, women have proved that they are no more deserving of the moral high ground in the matter of sexual relationships. On the other hand, nobody in his or her right mind can honestly deny that far more women than men have been misused, oppressed, taken advantage of and otherwise mistreated by their male counterparts since our evolutionary predecessors began separating into two sexes. James R. Nichols, Jr.

Headline misrepresented Shapiro's stance on Li issue

On the front page of the April 18 issue of the 'Prince,' the headline, "Shapiro calls for release of Li GS '88," is both incorrect and misleading. As a matter of fact, President Shapiro restrained himself from using the word "release," and the title overstretched his original meaning. It also misled readers into believing that Shapiro actually called for his release.

In the letter, Shapiro only calls for the quick solution of Li's detention by the Chinese authority. Xinping Zhu GS