Letters to the Editor

Funds should support rearing, not aborting

I would like to respond to Natasha Burley '00's March 28 column: "Family planning requires taking a hard look at reality."

I believe in choices. I believe that women should be able to choose their best options from a list of alternatives. I also believe that women should be free from coercion. Unfortunately, when it comes to abortion, choice is not the problem; a lack of choices is the problem.

A woman, especially a poor woman, in an unplanned pregnancy does not have the freedom to decide morally from an array of different options. She faces a great financial constraint. Poverty leaves women without a fair ground for choice, and funding for abortions in poverty-stricken areas only exacerbates the already uneven scale for decision making.

Children are expensive, and the cost of carrying a child to term (either keeping the child or giving it up for adoption) is far greater than the cost of an abortion. In place of the arguments for funding overseas abortions, real supporters of choice should rise up and demand that these women receive funding to truly make a choice: Funding to carry their children to term, to raise their children and to make a moral decision apart from coercive tactics. There is a financial incentive in our culture to abort, and by giving money to overseas family planning institutions, we as a nation continue to support and enforce an uneven scale for moral decision making.

When a woman aborts a child she is making a decision that will change her life. Some may argue that this decision will change her life for the better, but there are a number of studies to show otherwise. We as Americans have a duty to inform women of the possible mental risks associated with the abortion procedure and make sure that any woman who chooses such an option is not making a moral decision based upon her financial situation. Continued funding for abortions, overseas or within the United States, proves detrimental to the goal of freedom and ultimately hurts women's choices. Kellie Maul '01