Dormnet to be included in room fees

Beginning next fall, a reduced Dormnet service fee of $130 will be incorporated into students' basic dormitory rates. The current change was motivated by a CIT report submitted to the Priorities Committee last fall.

The 2001-2002 report, which described Dormnet in detail, stated, "CIT believes it is time to recognize Dormnet as an integral University-wide service and find an alternate source of funding that does not require CIT to charge students this additional fee."

Since 1994, Dormnet has provided high-speed connectivity via the campus and Internet networks to all residents of the undergraduate dormitories. Recently, the service has been extended to the Old and New Graduate colleges and plans call for its subsequent addition to graduate dormitory annexes on Dickinson Street, University Place and Edwards Place over the summer.

This year, 80 percent of graduate students and 96 percent of undergraduate students subscribe to the Dormnet service. Subscribers currently receive a bill annually for the $144 connection fee separate from their other room and board charges.

The Priorities Committee hopes to reduce the inconvenience of this procedure with the new Dormnet policy. They responded to CIT's request with their own report that stated, "The Committee agreed that removing the separate charge for Dormnet would be a very desirable step and urges the administration to find a way to accomplish this goal before the next academic year."

The administration has made arrangements to turn this proposal into action for the 2001-2002 academic year. Students will see a five-percent increase of all dormitory charges for next year and, starting in the fall, separate billing for Dormnet services will cease to occur.

Provost Jeremiah Ostriker, voicing support for the changes to Dormnet policy, said, "For almost all students, it's just a price reduction and for those on financial aid, it's quite a large price reduction because they won't have to pay at all."

David Gail '03 said he does not approve that the University increased the cost of housing because of Dormnet.

"It was wrong of the University to insert the charges after housing contracts had already been signed — in effect a breach of contract on Princeton's part. Students not using Dormnet have a right to challenge this fee," he said.

CIT's Managing Director Steven Sather is convinced, however, that this change will be beneficial. "The reason we proposed this change was primarily because such a high percentage of undergraduates already subscribed to the service and making it a uniform offering could make things easier for students," Sather explained.

He also cited such features as not having to resubscribe every year and the faculty knowing that anyone with a computer has a Dormnet subscription as improvements to the current system.

An additional enhancement to Dormnet is a new service called "mobile Dormnet." It includes free off-peak remote connectivity, plus access to campus data ports and to many clusters. For students who do not live in any of the wired locations or who live off-campus, CIT will offer variations of this service both over the summer and during the academic year.