Acting governor supports increased University grants

Acting Gov. Donald DiFrancesco said he will be an active proponent of legislation related to Princeton University amid recent turmoil concerning alleged ethical improprieties while he was the Scotch Plains township attorney — a controversy that led DiFrancesco to abandon his gubernatorial campaign yesterday.

"I support innovative programs such as college savings plans, tuition aid grants, biomedical and technology research and teacher preparation grants," he said in an interview earlier this week.

In addition to denying charges of misconduct, DiFrancesco must balance the dual role as both acting governor and N.J. Senate president.

"He's going to be a very busy man for the next 10 months," University Vice President for Public Affairs Robert Durkee '69 said in February. "He is going to be pressed because he has two jobs to fulfill."

Indeed, requests for an interview were frequently stalled by DiFrancesco's schedule, according to representatives in his press office. A telephone interview was out of the question, and DiFrancesco took nearly three months to respond to questions via fax machine.

The governor of New Jersey serves ex officio as a University trustee and can wield strong influence over the trustees, Durkee said. However, he added, most governors have not been active participants in key decisions.

Two important issues that could affect the University are legislative proposals providing support for research at Princeton and funding for a teacher preparation program, Durkee said.

DiFrancesco explained, "Princeton University would be eligible to participate in a number of my administration proposals."

DiFrancesco said there are several programs he hopes will be included in the budget, including $5 million in state matching funds for new biomedical and technology research, $7 million in teacher preparation grants, $15 million in the Fund for Technology Innovation and $10 million in matching funds for private-sector science and technology grants.

DiFrancesco has been on campus sporadically during his first three months as acting governor, visiting March 24 to address the New Jersey Environmental Conference.

"I enjoy visiting Princeton University," he said. "I hope to be able to attend additional events at the University during the coming months."

DiFrancesco said at the press conference yesterday that he will retire from public office after spending 25 years in the legislature following the completion of his term.