A message to our readers

David Horowitz's advertisement, "Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Slavery is a Bad Idea — and Racist Too," is an offensive piece of work. Our readers will, however, find it in today's issue of the 'Prince.' We feel you have a right to know why.

Horowitz plays a clever game. He played it with several of our peer college papers in the past few weeks. And he won. When Horowitz submits an ad to a college paper, he hopes that one of two things will happen: Either the paper refuses to print the ad, so he can tell the world that conservative ideas are being censored by the liberal college press, or the paper prints the ad and campus activists protest. Both ways, Horowitz gets what he wants: his name in the news and his message in the national media. It happened last month at Brown, Berkeley and Duke, among other schools.

We don't want to play his game. We don't want to bring further attention to his message or provide him with another opportunity to attract the nation's eye.

In no way do we support Horowitz's argument. Denying publication of the ad, however, just gives Horowitz what he is looking for: another reason to cry "censor."

The 'Prince' is an open forum for debate on every issue that faces the campus community. We accept ads, opinion pieces and letters from writers with a wide spectrum of viewpoints and ideologies.

By publishing the Horowitz ad, we hope that our readers will have a chance to read his argument and if they so wish, better hone their challenges to it. If the ad's argument is as flawed as we believe it is, it will not stand up to the critical light of open debate. Printing this ad is the best way to allow our readers to fight against the racist aspects of its message.

Because we know that this may spark a debate on campus, we will welcome letters from our readers about this issue.

Finally, in a gesture that we hope will demonstrate to our readers our commitment to open dialogue, but also our own integrity as a campus publication, we have decided not to keep the money that Horowitz's group paid for the ad. Instead, we will donate the proceeds from the ad to the Trenton chapter of the National Urban League, a non-profit, non-partisan group that works for civil rights and racial understanding. We do not want to profit from Horowitz's racism. Donating the money seems like the right thing to do.