Women's basketball hangs tough with Quakers in final game

Going into last night's contest at the Palestra it seemed like Penn's women's basketball team would have all of the momentum.

The Quakers had won 20 straight games going into the contest, had already clinched the Ivy League championship and were riding a wave of emotion as senior All-American Diana Caramanico took the floor for her final home game.

No one told this to the Tigers, however.

Princeton jumped on top early, but eventually fell 78-69 to the Quakers in the final game of the Tigers' season.

Led by sophomore forward Maureen Lane's 20 points, Princeton jumped out to an early 24-14 lead in the first half and looked in control, going into halftime with a 37-30 lead. Coming out of the locker room for the second half, however, the Quakers showed how they have compiled a 22-5 overall record and a perfect 14-0 mark in the league. Penn was only the second team in Ivy League history to go undefeated for an entire season. The Quakers shot 60 percent in the second half and only turned the ball over twice to jump in front of Princeton.

The Tigers hung tough, however, and held the lead until Penn jumped ahead 59-58 with eight minutes remaining in the game. Sophomore guard Allison Cahill responded with a three to give the lead back to the Tigers, 61-59, but Penn would then put the game away as Caramanico would score some of her game-high 26 points in a 14-2 Quaker run.

Senior Jessica Munson scored 14 points in her final collegiate game as the Tigers ended their season with a record of 2-25 and 2-12 within the league.

Princeton overcame poor shooting performances in the past and shot 11-for-29 from three-point range to stay close.