Track teams head to ECACs, IC4As

The men's and women's track teams sent their best to take on the best of the East coast this weekend in Boston, Mass. Those who qualified competed in the ECAC Championships for the women's team and the IC4A Championships for the men's team.

The men's team had the most success, taking fourth overall with 47 points, 26 behind champion Penn State. The women's team lagged behind somewhat, taking 20th place with 12 points.

Two members of the men's team won their events, providing the team with 10 points. Senior Scott Denbo won the shot put with a throw of 59 feet, 10.5 inches, and senior Jonathan Jessup won the pole vault by clearing 16-8.75. Denbo was joined in the shot put by freshman Rocky Craley, who finished fifth. Freshman Josh McCaughey, expected to challenge for another win for the Tigers in the 35-lb. weight throw, fell short of his usual excellence to finish sixth with a throw of 62-.25.

The Tigers' depth on the track paid off to provide the team with a large chunk of points. Barely edged out at the line, freshman Tristan Colangelo finished second in the 3000 meters in eight minutes, 21.63 seconds. His eight points were matched by the 4x800 relay team, which barely missed first place in 7:30.39. Adding to the Tigers' strong showing in the middle distance events, junior Seamus Whelton added an eighth-place finish in the 1000.

The women's team's 12 points were the product of just two athletes. Senior Rebecca Desman snagged second place in the high jump by clearing 5-8. Junior Lauren Simmons, fresh off a dominant season on the Heptagonal circuit, finished fourth in the 800 in 2:10.46.