Setter Liljestrom rises for men's volleyball

Some people may recognize him as that bizarre guy in the bright sweatsuit and gold aviator glasses who spends his lunch hour doing Tai-chi on the lawn of Ivy. His teammates refer to him as the "Smooth Criminal" who gets stalked by swarms of high school girls whenever they play on the road.

Who is this teen idol so highly trained in the ways of ancient Chinese martial arts? He is Jason Liljestrom, freshman starting setter of our very own Princeton men's volleyball team.

A native of Irvine, Calif., Liljestrom has been playing volleyball almost all his life and began playing competitively in middle school.

"I grew up near the beach, so I'd always go down to there on the weekends and play," Liljestrom said. "Playing outdoors is totally different than indoors. I like them both, but there's something to be said about being outside on the sand, in the sun, next to the waves. Its just not the same here."

Being the perceptive type, Liljestrom has already picked up on the differences between Dillon Gym and the southern California coast, but the indoor court is certainly not unfamiliar territory for him.

He began his indoor career as an outside hitter in eighth grade, but has been setting for the past five years. As the starting varsity setter at Woodbridge High School, Liljestrom earned Most Valuable Player honors his junior and senior years, and made the all-league and all-conference teams as a senior.

'Bump, set, spike . . .'

When asked to explain his love for the sport, Liljestrom quoted the 1990 volleyball classic Side Out, replying, "'Bump, set, spike, chicks, brews.' That's really why I play."

His impressive accolades and dedication to the game caught the attention of Princeton head coach Glenn Nelson last year during his regular recruiting trip out West. With the graduation of captain and setter Jason Morrow '00, who started all four years and helped bring the team to NCAA Final Four glory in 1998, Nelson was hard-pressed to find a new setter.

"Jason Morrow is not a guy you can just go out replace," Nelson said. "I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out with Liljestrom, but he's definitely stepped up like we needed."

Standing six-feet, three-inches tall, Liljestrom not only brings talent but also much-needed height to the setter position. Since the men's team opened their 2001 season in January, Liljestrom has started every game, averaging 43 assists per match. He also has proven a powerful blocking force on the right, which has especially helped the Princeton defense cover the deep court against some of its more aggressive opponents.

'Multi-dimensional'

"Liljestrom is a great player and he's brought a lot to our team this year," junior middle Scott Dore said. "His primary role is to set up his teammates, which he does well, but he is truly a multi-dimensional player. He plays good defense, serves well and might be the best blocker on our team."

In addition to bringing talent to the court, Liljestrom has also proven himself as a leader within the team. Whether it's firing his teammates up in the huddle during a timeout or busting a move to Michael Jackson in the locker room before a game, Liljestrom knows how to get the team going.

"With the departure of the fiery Jason Morrow, no one was sure who would take control of the team," senior middle Ryan Black said. "Steve Cooper is captain, but his duties as liaison between the men's and women's programs keep him preoccupied most of the time. 'Lilj' has unselfishly filled in as the our inspirational voice and has provided new leadership for the team."While Liljestrom has certainly picked up where Morrow left off — proving that he is not only a comparable setter, but also a dominant force on and off the court — there are still some aspects of his game that the team feels need some work.

"Where Morrow attracted a more sophisticated, college woman," Black said. "Liljestrom attracts the screaming, clawing preteens. He's still got a couple years ahead of him to work on that, though, so we're pretty confident he can reach Morrow-status someday."