Men's volleyball knocks off Rutgers-Newark in four games

The men's volleyball team traveled to Newark Friday to take on Rutgers-Newark. The Tigers prevailed against the weaker Scarlet Raiders, pulling themselves into fifth place and knocking their opponents to sixth in the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association. The Tigers are now half way through their regular season, having played every team in the EIVA Tait division once.

In this contest, Princeton (5-6 overall, 4-4 EIVA) won the first game, dropped the second, then rebounded to win the last two for the victory.

The win came as no surprise to the Tigers. The Scarlet Raiders were weakened over the offseason by the graduation of three of their starters. In addition, Rutgers-Newark was without the services of another starter for this game due to injury.

"Rutgers isn't that strong," junior opposite Scott Dore said. "They relied too much on a few players, so when those guys weren't stepping up, they gave up a lot of points."

Princeton, on the other hand, kept a steady level of play throughout, maintaining a balanced attack and a consistent defense.

The Tigers begin the second half of their season at home this Friday against Springfield, the worst team in Princeton's division with a record of 2-10 overall, 0-10 EIVA. Given their level of play against a stronger team Friday, the Tigers are in good shape to make a charge in their remaining games.

They will have to wait some time to make that run, however. After meeting Springfield Friday, Princeton will not play again until March 30, when its season begins in earnest in a meeting with Juniata, again at home.