Cosby to speak at Class Day

It's no laughing matter: One of the most successful comedians in recent times will be delivering the keynote address at this year's Class Day ceremony.

The Class of 2001 officers announced this week that Bill Cosby will be headlining Class Day.

"I think the insight and wisdom he'll be able to provide our class would be unparalleled," class president Justin Browne said.

Adam Friedlander '01, who was "unbelievably psyched" when he heard that Cosby will be speaking, said, "Bill Cosby tells smart jokes, and he's great."

At the event — to be held on the morning of June 4 on Cannon Green — University administrators and faculty members will speak and present awards to several class members. The ceremony will be ticketed for seniors and their guests.

Friedlander said Cosby was a great choice. "Our class for sure grew up on the 'Cosby Show.' " Cosby was his class' first TV father figure, Friedlander added.

"I responded with a 'thank you class officers' the second I got [the e-mail]," Friedlander said.

Class Day has been a part of the Princeton graduating experience for over 150 years. In recent years, however, the ceremony has not always been honored by keynote addresses which students truly enjoyed hearing. Consequently, the Class Day address has not been appealing to many seniors, Browne said.

Aside from the class members that receive awards, Browne said, "The rest of the class just sits and doesn't participate very much." Browne said he and the USG members working with him will consider having more students as speakers and presenters and shortening the amount of time spent on the awards ceremony. The decisions will be left to the graduating class in an upcoming vote.

"The officers this year are really trying to revamp the Commencement activities," Browne said. "By bringing Bill Cosby . . . we hope that Class Day will now be back on the Princeton Commencement map."

When seniors submitted suggestions for Class Day speakers, Cosby's name was one of the most popular, Browne said. "He's extremely funny. He's extremely talented."

In addition to being a comedian, Cosby has also devoted his efforts to improving education — part of the reason he makes a good speaker for Class Day, Browne added.

"I just think it's cool that we got someone who I can totally relate to and who will be cracking jokes the whole time," Christopher Milne '01 said.

Class Day is a long-standing tradition that has itself adopted traditions, Browne noted. Though some of these traditions have faded, Browne said he hopes bringing in "big-name speakers" will become a tradition of its own.

The USG was able to get Cosby because he is a family friend of one of the members of the Class of 2001. Browne sent a letter and a fax to Cosby, and the next day Cosby agreed to speak. Browne said talking on the phone with Cosby was "surreal."

"We were talking about his education and his past. It was very neat," he said.

In the past, Class Day may have been a chore, but this year seniors will certainly be eager to attend. "I'm totally pumped," Milne said.