Tax-payers should not have to support degrading art

Dan Wachtell can support any type of "challenging," "difficult" or "offensive" art he wants; he can spend his $5.50 at the Hamilton Multiplex, his $15.50 at the Sam Goody or his $25.50 at the local XXX video store. What Mr. Wachtell can watch, listen to or buy is a matter of his First Amendment Right. Similarly, short of child pornography, photographer Robert Mapplethorpe and artist Renee Cox are free to paint, photograph and draw whatever they want; New York City does not lack private museum and gallery space where they can display their so-called art. However, the city's taxpayers and government need not, and, I submit, should not, be forced to support "artwork" that not merely offends, but degrades, more than half of the city's population. Surely the Brooklyn Museum of Art would not display an exhibition belittling the Jews' struggle during the Holocaust, nor would the Brooklyn Academy of Music offer a retrospective on the grammy-winning lyrics of Marshall Mathers. As a Jewish woman in NYC (and, I may add, an Eminem fan), I know that the Anti-Defamation League and every women's organization both sides of the East River, respectively, would be up in arms if it did. Christianity, however, has become an easy and, it seems, legitimate target for today's "artists." Their work, no matter how degrading and offensive, has gone beyond reproach. A decency panel may not be the answer, but a little common sense on the part of the Brooklyn Museum of Art is definitely in order.