Letters to the Editor

Princeton researchers' discovery nothing new

The recent announcement that Princeton researchers have discovered that Gutenberg perhaps did not invent true movable type is already well known. In fact, Chinese printers were using true, reusable movable type made of various metals and ceramic no later than 1313, and likely much earlier. Scholars believe that the technology was transmitted to Europe via the Eurasian unification under the Mongols. Gutenberg made improvements, but neither he nor another European invented movable type. For highly accessible accounts, one should consult Joseph Needham, "Science and Civilization in China," or Denis Twitchett (Professor Emeritus, East Asian Studies and History, Princeton and Cambridge Universities), "Printing in China." John Didier, GS 98 Department of History Colorado State University

University should be more open-handed

The more I reflect on the funds recently allocated to replace loans with grants for students on financial aid, the more I am torn.

On the one hand, I am pleased and impressed (if surprised) that my University took such initiative, countering the trend at other schools towards increasing the burden of debt many students face after graduation.

On the other hand, several people reminded me over the last week that Princeton is not always so generous with its largesse. One normally upbeat senior told me that she was "embittered" that the new aid policy did not extend to our class, especially since it was announced while we are still students here. Another friend with an injured foot confided how she may have to withdraw for a year because she cannot afford the price the University charges for the golf cart she would need to stay on campus.

At the office of career services, I learned that the non-profit career fair being planned could include more organizations if someone could pay for a train ticket for their representatives.

Community members other than students are also excluded from reaping the benefits of our bulging bank account. A small business owner on Nassau Street warned me that no "mom and pop" stores will be left in Princeton in ten years, largely because of the failure of the University to live up to its financial obligation to the town. And, let no one forget that far too many of Princeton's workers are denied adequate wages and benefits.

The new financial aid initiative is a wonderful thing, but we have quite a ways to go in turning dollars into "human capital." Amanda Fulmer '01

Ritchie's role on reality show a cause for shame

In his article "Stranded on an Island of Seduction and Desire," Michael Grabell expresses pride that Tom Ritchie '94 has become the first Princetonian to don the Ivy League label on a reality television show. I am not as elated as Grabell. Far from acting in "the service of all nations," Ritchie's base "job" of flirting with women contributes to an unraveling moral character. He is no different than the snake that offers the forbidden fruit to Eve.

Ritchie defends his role of breaking up couples before they get married as a type of public service. He believes that he is doing the "tough" work of testing relationships before it's too late. Perhaps, his reasoning is an early signal of the show's morally deleterious effects. Seth Green '01