The Streak continues: Women's hoops winless after 14 games

In basketball, it is often said that the season is split up into three separate mini-seasons: the pre-conference schedule, the conference games and the postseason.

If this is the case, the women's basketball team started off its second season much the same way the first started, and, barring a miraculous turnaround, it seems unlikely the Tigers will even see the third season.

Going into this weekend's games, Princeton was looking to snap a dozen-game losing streak. Instead, it helped both Cornell and Columbia bring their respective four-game losing streaks to an end.

Friday night, the Tigers opened their Ivy season at Cornell and lost 77-61. Princeton (0-14 overall, 0-2 Ivy League) then traveled to New York City still searching for its first win Saturday, but found no respite at Columbia, falling 61-48.

The Tigers' shooting woes continued, as the team shot a mere 37 percent in the first game and a lowly 32 percent in Saturday night's contest.

In Friday's game, Princeton found itself in a familiar situation, down early against the Big Red (7-7, 1-1). After an early Tiger basket, Cornell responded with 12 unanswered points during the next five minutes. That run killed the Tigers' hopes, and they fell behind 40-28 at the midway point.

The Tigers came out stronger in the second half, drastically improving their shooting, while keeping the Big Red from pulling away.

In the second-half, the Tigers were able to play the game closer than they have in many of their recent outings. Cornell only outscored Princeton 37-33 in the stanza.

Sophomore Maureen Lane led the Tigers with 23 points, but it was not enough, as the Big Red drained threes, shooting 67 percent from three-point land.

Saturday night, the Tigers took the court against Columbia (2-10, 1-1) in a game featuring two teams that had a combined one win in 25 previous outings. In a reversal from the night before, the Tigers came out strong in the first half. There were seven lead changes and one tie in the first period, but the Tigers headed to the locker room on the losing end of a 31-24 halftime score.

Along with poor shooting, Princeton was troubled by turnovers — 21 to Columbia's 10.

Sophomore guard Allison Cahill and sophomore forward Lee Culp shouldered the majority of the team's scoring with 16 and 14 points, respectively.

The Tigers will continue the search for their first win Jan. 29 when they take on Stony Brook.