Tannenbaum '01 wins Sachs scholarship for Oxford study

David Tannenbaum '01, one of Princeton's most ubiquitous student activists, has been awarded the Daniel M. Sachs Class of 1960 Graduating Scholarship.

Tannenbaum will use the scholarship — which finances study abroad for one graduating senior considering a career in public affairs — to study economic and social history at the University of Oxford.

He said the prestige of the scholarship and the opportunities for study inspired him to apply. "I knew that I definitely wanted to study history," he said. "I wanted to use it to inform my political organization down the road."

Chairman of the selection committee Joel Barrera '87 said the committee was "deeply impressed by [Tannenbaum's] extensive activism and commitment to social justice issues."

On campus, Tannenbaum has organized opposition to sweatshop labor and rallied support for Ralph Nader '55, among other things. Last year, Tannenbaum left Princeton to work in a lower-income neighborhood in Brooklyn, N.Y., successfully mobilizing members of the community to protest issues such as the closing of a nearby health clinic.

And as an avid political activist, Tannenbaum said at Princeton he often finds himself distracted from his academic pursuits. He said attending school in another country might provide an atmosphere more conducive to studying, adding that as a foreigner he might feel less comfortable vocalizing his political viewpoints.

David Loevner '76, who has acted as chairman of the Sachs scholarship executive committee for the past nine years, said this year's 27 candidates made up an extremely strong applicant pool.