Miller '01 receives Rhodes Scholarship

After a week of interminable interviews — regional, district, first-round, second-round — Brandon Miller '01 found himself standing along one side of a room with nine other Rhodes Scholar applicants from his district on Saturday. Eight judges filed into the room, positioned themselves across from the applicants and read three names.

Miller's was not among them.

"I like to play it cool even if I'm not on the inside," Miller said.

Then they read the fourth and final name, and Miller's patience was rewarded.

Miller was named a Rhodes Scholar on Saturday, becoming one of only 32 American students to win the prestigious fellowship this year.

About 950 of the nation's college seniors from 327 institutions of higher education applied for the scholarships.

The scholarships provide funding for two or three years of study at Oxford University, including university fees and a stipend to cover various expenses.

Miller, a comparative literature major, has been studying both German and Chinese at Princeton. He said he plans to spend the next two years taking courses in Chinese studies. At the end of the program, he will receive a master's degree.

"I will be writing and taking classes on some topic — probably classical Chinese philosophy," Miller said.

Rhodes Scholars have the option to enroll at any of Oxford's colleges. Though Miller has not yet decided where he will study, he said his initial leaning is toward Trinity College.

Miller, who said he hopes to become a university president, added that he is looking forward to the prospect of studying at a world-renowned institution.

"I am excited to be part of this community of scholars who are working, studying and learning together at Oxford," Miller said. "To be at that great university, to study with great professors and to pursue something I am very interested in is truly a privilege."

Comparative literature professor Sandra Bermann wrote Miller's primary recommendation for the scholarship. She described Miller as "an extraordinary individual with many qualities, including a wide range of academic abilities — economics and comparative literature, as well as theater."