Endorsements for USG

The U.S. presidential election continues to drag on and on and on — relentlessly, endlessly, mercilessly — consuming what seems like more on-air time than O.J. ever took up. Thankfully, however, USG elections will end promptly Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. Though we don't dare follow our unfortunate, misguided, omelet-stained colleagues in the national media by making false projections, we would like to make the following endorsements:

Social Chair

The Daily Princetonian endorses West Owens '03 for USG Social Chair. His plan to modify the current infrastructure of the position demonstrates his commitment to soliciting more creative input from those he serves — the students. By creating a social board, Owens should be able to open up the decision-making process for concerts and other events to a more diverse array of student opinions.

Christoph Geiseler '04 possesses a wide range of musical tastes and a solid understanding of concert organization, and has suggested both that the USG stage concerts in acoustically suitable venues — such as Richardson Auditorium — and that it try to attract more eclectic artists. But he seems content to work within the position's pre-existing framework rather than delegating his authority to a group of students, as Owens has proposed.

Melissa Kemp '02 did not respond to The Daily Princetonian's request for an interview.

Academics Chair

The Daily Princetonian endorses Traci Strickland '02 for the position of Academics Chair because her platform promises to focus much-needed attention on the plight of Princetonians who struggle academically. She displays an honest approach to evaluating the needs of underachieving students and should work well with the administration and the Center for Teaching and Learning in ameliorating those students' situations.

Jacob Hodes '02 exhibits a comprehensive understanding of the demands imposed by the impending 500-student increase. His plans to diversify course offerings, expand the number of certificate programs and reform underclassman advising are important, given the University's upcoming changes. But Hodes' initiatives reflect inevitable components of the Wythes transition, and we hope the administration will consider these issues regardless of who is elected to the position.

Erez Lieberman '02 presents a radical platform that would reevaluate the century-old lecture-preceptorial system. He hopes to weave new information technology into the University's academic fabric during the next five years. While his idea is thought-provoking — and deserves some consideration — we prefer not to endorse a candidate with such a limited agenda.

We would like to thank all the candidates who took time to meet with The Daily Princetonian and wish them much success next semester. The University will be changing rapidly in the coming years, and the next crop of USG officers will be charged with helping undergraduates make the transition. We wish them the best of luck.