Cap, Quad, Tower vote to allow coeds in Bicker

December 11, 1970 — Tower, Quadrangle and Cap and Gown decided this week to admit women, assuring that two-thirds of the Prospect Street clubs will be open female undergraduates this year.

Only four clubs — Cannon , Cottage, Ivy and Tiger — have no plans to include women in their selection processes, and according to Cannon president Stephen J. Powers '71, the issue is "still very much in doubt" at his club.

This fall, five clubs have made decisions to enroll women, often because they felt "coeds should be considered on the same basis for membership as any other sophomore," as expressed by Cloister president Harry W. Burton '71.

Tower Club treasurer Norris H. Bokum '71 said more than 90 percent of Tower's members voted to allow coeds to bicker because they felt "there was no valid reason to vary admission on the basis of sex."

Dial Lodge president Glen E. Haas '71 said his club approved admitting coeds because it was consistent with Dial's "open-book" policy.

Quadrangle's head Kenneth P. Barkauskas '71 noted that sentiment for the move was stronger among the junior members of the club. Admitting coeds would allow Quad to remain as attractive as the clubs that had already decided to Bicker women, he felt.

The clubs had very little trouble gaining sanction for coeducation from their graduate boards and all but Cap have given final approval to their club's plan.

Expected exuberance

Cottage Club president McKinley C. MacAdoo '71 cited expected reluctance of Cottage's grad board as the reason the club has a "wait-and-see" attitude toward including women in Bicker. He added, however, that coeducation of the facility "might very well happen next year."

Phillip G. Bobbit '71, Ivy's president and ICC chairman, said a motion to strike a restrictive clause from Ivy's constitution failed to get a majority because many members felt, "we really don't have a coeducational university yet." He added some members simply thought there was "still a place for an all-male club at Princeton."

Tiger's decision not to Bicker women focused on a part of the club's constitution that allows a minority of the club's members to exclude any student in Bicker. After several discussions, it was "obvious that the constitution would not be amended," according to president John J. McNab '71. The officer believes Tiger's showing in Bicker will not be affected by the club's decision. "In fact, I think that our honesty on the coeducation matter should help us more than hurt us," he said.

Last year, a handful of coeds were accepted at three ICC clubs — Campus, Charter and Colonial — while University-run Stevenson Hall and Terrace Club enrolled a dozen each.