Sturges Win Expected in Mayoralty Struggle

November 8, 1955 — The absence of nation and statewide contests on the ballot is expected to hold participation in today's election to a minimum in most of the country's polling places.

But in Princeton, the most openly fought mayoralty campaign in years should — barring foul weather — produce a large turnout. Raymond F. Male, executive assistant to Governor Robert B. Meyner, is challenging incumbent Republican Mayor P. MacKay Sturges '17.

Another free-wheeling mayoralty race, this one in Philadelphia, will draw much local interest. Republican W. Thacher Longstreth '41, a lanky ex-Tiger football player, is pitted against urbane Richardson Dilworth in a race which may tell which way Pennsylvania's electoral votes will swing in 1956.

This pre-election battle in Princeton has been anything but calm. A flurry of accusations from both sides has been forthcoming for the last month and a half as the Democrats made their big effort to unseat the long-dominant GOP administration in this staunchly Republican town.

While the popular Mayor Sturges must be conceded the edge, it is possible that Male's cries for an open contest have had some effect. The mayor's backers have countered this plea with the contention that Male would not have sufficient time to devote to the post. Sturges has no other job.

Philadelphia Race Crucial

The Longstreth-Dilworth race is considered the most important battle from a national point of view by most politicians. Since President Eisenhower endorsed Longstreth, a Philadelphia ad-man, as "his kind of candidate," GOP leaders are hopeful that he will be able to upset Dilworth.

But the odds are against him. Longstreth, besides being saddled with a corrupt Republican record, has failed to make a dent in the negro vote, which is expected to swing the victory to Dilworth. A Longstreth win would be an upset of major proportions.

Elsewhere, 11 of 21 New Jersey State Senate seats and all 60 Assembly posts will be filled by an expected turnout of a million and a half voters. Some national attention is being focused on a strong Democratic bid to win control of the lower house for the first time since 1937.

In Kentucky, meanwhile, A. B. (Happy) Chandler, onetime U.S. Senator and Commissioner of Baseball, will make a powerful showing in his effort to move into the Frankfort statehouse. His Republican opponent, Edwin R. Denny, has campaigned almost as feverishly as the back-slapping, baby-kissing Chandler, but is not expected to block Happy's comeback.