Representatives meet with students to discuss University president search

The three student representatives on the University's presidential search committee held their first discussion forum last night in the Frist Campus Center, seeking to learn more about what other students want in their next University president.

The five students who attended the meeting, however, were disappointed that the search committee participants did not discuss the candidates that are being considered or the details of the selection process.

USG president PJ Kim '01 explained that search committees in the past have had difficulty with issues of confidentiality, especially when considering administrators at other institutions.

"I think it is important to clarify . . . we can't really say that much about what we're thinking about," he said to the small group, adding that members are not allowed to discuss the committee's proceedings.

The few students in attendance said they were expecting to learn more about the process during the meeting because it had been promoted to "provide students with an opportunity to learn more about the search," according to the presidential search committee's Website.

"I came here tonight to listen to what other students had to say and learn more about the process," said Dan Zauber '03.

The coordinators of the meeting — Lauren Hale GS, Lisa Lazarus '02 and Kim — were to be joined by University Secretary and Vice President Thomas Wright '62, but he was not in attendance.

The students, however, were able to discuss several issues that they believe the search committee should consider. One of the more significant factors in choosing the next president, according to the students at the meeting, is the candidate's connection to and understanding of the University.

"I think it should be important to find someone with some type of affiliation [to Princeton]," said Joe Kochan '02. "It would be better if they were an undergraduate [because] of the strong dynamic of the Princeton social situation."

One student said he believed the next president should be a public official while another recommended that the search committee consider members of the University faculty.

"I think the next president should be an academic, maybe a professor," said Zauber, though he added that the academic connection should not necessarily be a prerequisite. "I also like Bill Bradley. I don't agree with his health plan, but I think he'd get something done."

The group eventually agreed that the next president would be better suited to the University if he or she had less of an academic background than President Shapiro.

"It would be nice to see a non-traditional academic," Kochan said. "Maybe someone who isn't necessarily focused on one single topic but someone who has a broader appeal."

At the end of the meeting, however, the students said they believed their voices would be heard by the committee. "I think they're going to represent us and that they're doing a good job," Zauber said, referring to the student representatives. "This is a very important decision."