Princeton students and residents turn out in force

In towns and cities across the country, Americans went to the polls in force yesterday. Princeton residents were no exception.

The aura of the polling rooms in both the Trinity Church on Mercer Street and Jadwin Hall — two locations where area residents gathered to vote — was calm, quiet, focused and serious.

The voting locations in the area were far from luxurious. But for most, that did not matter.

When asked why they voted for their candidate, many students offered a veritable grocery list of issues they used to determine whom they would support.

For Charlie Alden '03, the decision to vote for Vice President Al Gore was easy.

"I agree with his position on most social issues, for instance, a woman's right to choose," Alden said. "I think his decision not to locate the U.S. embassy in Israel is an important decision and his experience and the integrity he exudes . . . makes him a good candidate."

But for some, the decision was not so obvious. Gore supporter Tyler Wren '03 said he believes Gore is "the lesser of two evils," though he admitted he did not closely follow the presidential debates.

David Dean '03 said his vote for Gore was actually a vote against Texas Gov. George Bush. "I have this opinion that our president shouldn't be stupid," he said.

On the other end of the political spectrum, Bush supporters seemed few and far between at the polls in Princeton yesterday.

"I think I'm the only one on campus," said Tyler Szabo '04, a Bush supporter. "I believe in the Republican ideals. I come from a Republican family."

Szabo said he was particularly supportive of Bush's plan to lower taxes. "The government has already wasted a lot of our money. We should be trusted ourselves to spend our own money," he said.

Another pro-Bush voter, Matthew Fisher '04, noted that the announcement of Bush's drunk-driving citation almost made him vote for someone else.

"I'm not especially pleased with Bush," said Fisher, who said he would prefer Dick Cheney be elected president. But Fisher was even less pleased with Gore. "I believe that Al Gore is an extension of the Clinton immorality."

And, of course, there were the supporters of Ralph Nader '55. Some of those who voted for Nader said they believed the removal of corporate influences in elections has been a critical issue in 2000. Others said they cast their ballots for Nader to promote the Green Party.

For some, it was the candidate himself who held the true appeal.

"[Nader] offers the only real choice for those who want to see progressive issues be brought forth in this country," said Joe Conley GS, who wore a Nader pin. "Nader has been fighting for consumer issues for decades."