Men's hoops to enter Cameron's cauldron in opener

Cameron Indoor Stadium. Just the name is intimidating enough. No. 2 Duke has amassed a 603-134 record there since the building opened in 1940, losing only 44 times under current head coach Mike Krzyzewski. The Blue Devils have won 127 of their last 130 home games against non-Atlantic Coast Conference teams. And Princeton has not historically been successful at that venue, losing all six of its contests there, including a 36-27 defeat in the first game ever played at Cameron. Add a few thousand Cameron Crazies screaming and chanting as the first game of the season gets under way, and things do not look extremely bright for the Tigers.

Princeton, which plays Duke tonight in the first round of the Preseason NIT in Durham, N.C., will open its season on ESPN without junior guard Ahmed El-Nokali, who will miss the game due to a tendon injury. Senior forward and captain Nate Walton — who last Tuesday in practice sprained the same ankle that required surgery two years ago — is also expected to miss the game.

"The heart of this team is Nate Walton," head coach John Thompson '88 said. "It's a pretty serious sprain. We're not sure how long he's going to be out."

Loaded

The Tigers will face a Blue Devil team that led the nation in scoring last season with 88.0 points per game and returns 81 percent of its scoring output — and four of its five starters.

Princeton will turn to its healthy returning players tonight to help counter Duke's point production. Senior guard C.J. Chapman, who along with Walton led the Tigers with 15 points in their exhibition game against the California All-Stars on Nov. 4, will look for a similar showing in Durham. Strong play from junior guard Mike Bechtold, junior forward Eugene Baah and sophomore center Chris Krug will be required if Princeton even wants to stay in the game.

And Ed Persia, the freshman guard who hit 3 of 8 three-point shots against the California All-Stars, will also be called upon to contribute in his first collegiate game.

"He's picked up the offense real well," Chapman said of Persia's performance in the exhibition game. "He's aggressive — and he stayed aggressive. That's all you can ask."

Scoring against Duke will be difficult thanks to the presence of Blue Devil forward Shane Battier. The Duke captain has won the National Defensive Player of the Year award the past two seasons and has drawn more charges than anybody in Duke history. The Tigers — who topped the nation last year in scoring defense, allowing a meager 54.6 points per game — will have their hands full with Duke center Carlos Boozer in the low post. The 6-foot, 9-inch Blue Devil, who averaged 13 points per game last year, had the highest field goal percentage on the team.

Fouling Boozer proves problematic, since he shot 74 percent from the free throw line last year. Double-teaming him, however, could leave freshman guard Chris Duhon, sophomore guard Mike Dunleavy, sophomore guard Jason Williams, senior forward Nate James and Battier open for three-point attempts.

The size advantage Duke will enjoy over Princeton is best exemplified by the following statistic: Every returning Princeton player combined tallied 76 offensive rebounds a season ago. Boozer had 81 by himself.

Small-ball

To combat Duke's size advantage, the Tigers will need to rely on their trademark hustle.

"We're a little undersized," El-Nokali said. "I think we have a scrappy team. We play hard."

This reliance on quickness could, however, quickly tire the injury-stricken Tigers, which will face a deep Blue Devil squad. Coming off the bench, 6-10 forwards junior Matt Christensen and sophomore Nick Horvath provide added height in the low post.

If it is going to stun the basketball world with an upset, Princeton is going to have to get creative.

"Because of the lack of size, we're going to have to play around with some different people inside," Thompson said.

Throughout tonight's game, fans will be playing the guessing game. What if El-Nokali and Walton were not injured? What if Ray Robins had not taken the year off and center Chris Young waited just one more year to sign a professional baseball contract? What if guard Spencer Gloger preferred the New Jersey mud to the California sun?

But Princeton knows it will not get anywhere this season by playing such a game. Even as their opener is written off as a mismatch by many, the Tigers are focused, approaching the game optimistically.

"It's definitely an opportunity to show people something," Chapman said. "We don't expect to go down there and lose. That's why we play the games."

Thompson echoed Chapman's sentiments.

"They're a very good team obviously, but we go about our business," Thompson said. "Our schedule was put together thinking we'd have a few more pieces in place now."

When asked if he has any set date by which he'd like to see his team start to come together, Thompson replied: "Tuesday."

After an offseason of turmoil, the Tigers hope the matchup with Duke will end up being just what they needed to shock themselves into an inspired season-opening performance.