Men's hoops hopes trip to Hoosier State holds reversal of fortunes

Having stumbled out of the blocks down south and right here in New Jersey, the men's basketball team travels to the nation's heartland this weekend to seek its first victory of the season.

Tonight, the Tigers (0-2 overall) will take on Weber State in the first round of Ball State's First Merchant's Bank Classic in Muncie, Ind. Princeton will then face either Anderson University or the tournament host, Ball State, tomorrow night.

Weber State — two years removed from its shocking upset of North Carolina in the 1999 NCAA tournament — features one of the tallest lineups Princeton will face all winter. Six foot, 10 inch center Stephen Bachman — the Big Sky Newcomer of the Year last season — 6-9 forward Ivan Gatto and 6-10 reserve center Marc Thurig will tower over a Tiger squad whose tallest probable starter, senior center Terrance Rozier-Byrd, stands at 6-7.

Prototype

Both Bachman, who hails from Switzerland and Gatto, from Italy, are prototypical European low-post players. Unlike many American big men who prefer to bang under the basket, the Wildcats' front court has the ability to pull away from the paint and drain a long jump shot. Gatto shot better than 50 percent from three-point range through the Wildcats' first 13 games last season before suffering an injury that hindered his play the rest of the year.

"They're huge," Princeton head coach John Thompson said. "At the same time, they all can make shots. They're the kind of guys that we have a tendency to like, big guys who can score in the post, but can still pop out and put the ball in the basket. It'll be a tough matchup for us."

Coming off a disappointing loss to in-state rival Monmouth last weekend, the Tigers recognize that they must improve their play at their own end of the court if they are to have any chance against Weber State. Monmouth guard Gerry Crosby poured in a career-high 24 points against Princeton, while three other Hawks finished in double figures.

"We had a poor defensive showing last game," senior guard C.J. Chapman said.

To make matters more difficult for Thompson's Tigers, the squad will not have junior center Chris Krug in the lineup, and may be without junior guard Ahmed El-Nokali. The 6-9 Krug has left the team for personal reasons until at least January, while El-Nokali is still rehabilitating from surgery on a tendon in his groin. In addition, the coaching staff will make a decision regarding senior captain and forward Nate Walton — who is nursing a sprained ankle — shortly before tip-off.

"It's a game-time decision," Thompson said. "It's not looking good enough if you ask me. He may play — he just has to run around and see how it feels."

Another aspect of the game that hindered Princeton against Monmouth was foul trouble. This season the NCAA has decided to reduce physical play and make the game more dependent on skill as opposed to strength.

Across the nation, referees have been whistling fouls in greater frequencies than in the past.

"It's been real rough," Chapman said. "[In] the Monmouth game — I hate to say it — but the refs kind of controlled the game."

Last week, the Tigers were whistled for 28 fouls against Monmouth, compared to the Hawks' 15. For the game, Monmouth attempted 32 free throws, while Princeton earned only six attempts at the charity stripe. Part of Princeton's foul troubles may be attributable to the team's greenness.

"We have inexperienced guys out there, that are just getting used to the officiating," Thompson said. "It's part of the growing process."

In the nightcap of the doubleheader tonight, Ball State will take on Anderson, a Division III school. The host Cardinals, champions of the Mid-American Conference Tourn-ament last year, fell to UCLA in the opening round of the NCAA tournament in March. The Ravens, who have two senior centers — Chris Seelbach and Adam Galema — listed at 6-8, compete in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference. The two-day tournament will be Anderson's only games against Division I opponents this season.