Letters to the Editor

Articles on race should tackle systems, not individuals

Let me preface this letter with a little background information about myself. I am a black female. I am the former treasurer of the Third World Center, former secretary of the Princeton chapter of the National Council of Negro Women and a certificate student in the African-American studies program. I hope that it is obvious from my academic and extracurricular activities that I care deeply about minority concerns, both on Princeton's campus and in the larger world.

That said, I would like to express my extreme concern and apprehension regarding The Daily Princetonian's 10-part series "Race at Princeton, Day by Day." In my four years on campus, the 'Prince' has quite frequently (and to varying degrees of success) covered the difficult topic of race. I do not doubt the intent has always been genuine and well-intentioned. But this fascination the 'Prince' has with the "race problem" at Princeton has become at best shallow and at worst detrimental to the perception of minorities on campus.

Highlighting individuals and their stories makes good copy and is usually of merit, but it is not enough to prompt serious discussion and debate. I am quite tired of the recycling of "Why Minorities Are Unhappy at Princeton" articles that pop up year after year. They give the false impression that the bulk of minorities on this campus are wildly unhappy, moping and complaining about their sad existence. Though minorities are acutely aware of the failings of this University, most of the minorities that I am familiar with are well-adjusted. They deal with the academic stress, the difficulty of being away from home, as well as the added stress of being a member of a minority group in an at times hostile environment, in a manner that is far less drastic (and dramatic) than the 'Prince' would have us believe.

In the remaining installments of this series, I would challenge the 'Prince' writing staff and contributing writers to focus on systems rather than individuals. What effect (if any) would expanding the AAS program into a department have on black matriculation, and likewise with the Latin American studies program? What can be done about Princeton's poor minority retention rate? How important should socioeconomic diversity be to our campus?

Articles on social issues and minorities are equally important. How about an article on the burgeoning black and Latino fraternities and sororities on campus or the low but steadily increasing number of minorities at the 'Street'? I would also strongly encourage a 'Prince' writer to profile the important, under-appreciated and often misunderstood work of Heddye Ducree, Sara Miller and the Third World Center, especially in light of the Center's 30th anniversary.

These issues are relevant, timely and patently ignored by the 'Prince.' In journalism, as in life, quality is far more important that quantity. I'll gladly take one analytical article on race and Princeton over 10 well-meaning, but less probing pieces. The campus and I would be better for it. Marjory Herold '01

University does accommodate handicapped students' needs

I am a freshman with mild cerebral palsy, a condition that affects both my handwriting and my mobility around campus. Several articles published recently in the 'Prince' have suggested that the University is failing to meet the needs of people in my situation. Every handicapped person is unique, and no two people face the exact same challenges or have the same needs, so I can't speak for others. My personal experience, however, has been extremely positive.

The administration gladly adapted both my housing and class schedule to make it easy for me to be a full participant in the Princeton community. They made sure that all of my professors know why I sometimes run a minute or two late for class. They have not only allowed, but actively encouraged me to use a laptop for taking notes. When I need extra time to write, they make sure I get it.

I'm glad this issue has come up for discussion because I think the whole University benefits when everyone's needs are met. A big part of Princeton's value comes from what students bring to the social and academic life of the place. The more effectively we meet the needs of individual students, the more they will be able to add to the whole. If increasing the resources available to Associate Dean of Undergraduate Students Sandra Silverman or creating a new branch of bureaucracy would move us closer to this goal, I believe we should do it. David Robinson '04