Grad student files complaint in court

Craig Stephen White and Ra'anan Shaul Abusch GS faced each other in Princeton Borough Court yesterday, each prepared to bring harassment charges against the other.

White, better known as Brother Stephen, frequently voices his religious views from sidewalks near the Princeton campus. His sermons are often critical of the clothing and behavior of University students and others who pass by.

According to a complaint Abusch filed last month, White treated him in a harassing way Sept. 21. In the official complaint, Abusch accused White of knowingly committing "an act of criminal trespass by entering or remaining in any place to which notice against trespass was given."

During his appearance in court yesterday, White filed a counter-complaint accusing Abusch of harassing him during the same alleged incident.

The judge did not rule on the validity of either man's claims. Following White's plea of "not guilty" and Abusch's statement that he was prepared to prosecute, the judge ordered both men to take part in the Community Dispute Resolution Process rather than issuing a formal ruling.

In interviews last night, Abusch and White described their alleged encounter.

According to Abusch, White — while preaching — called him a "Nazi." When Abusch told White he is Jewish, White called him a "Jew devil."

After several more minutes of verbal sparring, Abusch left the area. He then returned one hour later, and according to both White and Abusch, Abusch shoved White.

Abusch said he viewed White's speech as harassment, and subsequently filed a complaint against White with Princeton Borough.

White said yesterday he was standing on public property during the alleged verbal altercation and was merely exercising his Constitutional right to free speech. He said he believes Abusch's behavior was inappropriate, prompting him to file the counter-complaint.

"He came running up at me and shouted something like 'Get out of my house, get out of my house!' right in my face," White said.

White — who also preaches near the campuses of Rutgers, the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel — said no student has lodged an official complaint against him before. "No one officially filed complaints because they go to police and the police tell them they can do nothing because I have freedom of speech," he said.

Geoff Gentile '01 said he was present during the incident Sept. 21. He said Abusch became angry and violent during his encounter with White.

"I don't think Brother Stephen should have called him a Jew Devil repeatedly, but maybe that's his right. I think Abusch is in the wrong, too," Gentile said.

Abusch said last night he believes he should not be subjected to a hateful barrage against minorities on his way to work. "I know in my heart that hate speech is contiguous with violence," he added.

During the Community Dispute Resolution Process, White and Abusch will meet with a professional mediator who will seek to resolve their dispute.

If the judge decides the program was successful, the complaints will be dropped. If not, a criminal trial will be held, with possible penalties for either man up to and including a $500 fine or 30-day period of imprisonment.

Hearing this during the preliminary trial, Abusch responded, "It seems unfair. I filed my charge a month ago, and he just came in this morning and filed one."

White said he does not believe he was outside his rights as a citizen by speaking on the sidewalk and thus does not know what grounds Abusch has for his complaint.

Abusch, however, said, "[White] does not have the right to target oppressed groups in his speech. The legal system should put certain sorts of limitations on kinds of speech that lead to hateful attitudes."